Recently joined - having problems uploading files in Wordpress

Hi I recently switched to Cloudflare and now cannot update/publish files in Wordpress. I have the flexible SSL set up with Always use HTTPS = On, TLS 1.3 = On, Automatic HTTPS Rewrites = On. I have also installed the Wordpress - Cloudflare plugin. The first thing I noticed was that images were missing so I went into the Wordpress Dashboard and opened a page to edit - the image was there - so I thought upload / update and maybe the image will re-appear - but I get error “Updating failed. You are probably offline.” But I am not. FTP works fine, I can view site without images, I can edit site but I cannot upload - please, any assistance
I get same problem in firefox and google, private window and incognito window

Most of this stems from using Flexible SSL, as your site is not configured for HTTPS on your server.

Here’s a guide for the Updating Failed message:

Hi, thanks to all for their assistance. I know Cloudflare provide an excellent CDN service. I do feel however that the combined issues of Cloudflare, their certificates, Wordpress is a very complicated issue and to be honest is beyond my basic abilities. It was easier for me in the end to simply pay my hosting company $25 for a certificate and job done. Just for feedback I did find some of the fixes necessary could be more clear and simpler. Even the process of creating a self signed certificate is not ideal, the way the screen loads, does not scroll, easy to create more than one certificate by mistake, unsure what to do with these, its just not easy especially if you are not a bit of a guru. I think you need to appreciate some who want to move to Cloudflare are not that experienced I certainly did not understand most of what I read. On the other hand the migration of a site is so simple, so automated, so clear. I think you could make the transition for Wordpress users much simpler with more intelligent and automated solutions. I am not complaining just giving honest feedback that I think could increase your customer base and your already excellent DNS service even further. There are many experts on your support forum that know so much, however it is very daunting if you are significantly below that level. I have to be honest - I gave up after reading the article about the Wordpress REST API and realised this was all beyond me. I think you will find that the free SSL certs you offer are a big attraction, that was my main reason for migrating. If you can simplify this particularly with respect to Wordpress you will be on a winner. Anyway as I said, not a complaint just personal observations. Anyway thanks for all your help - and - ‘I’l be back!’

That’s unfortunate, as the Flexible SSL feature is like a tourniquet for a server that doesn’t have SSL. It’s a lousy thing to have to resort to because of a major deficiency of a web host. As you’ve discovered, using the Flexible SSL tourniquet introduces other problems. But, hey, you’ve got SSL now!

I appreciate that you and others who come here just for SSL realize how important SSL is, yet did not shop for a host who offers it for free. Maybe because you’ve been with that host for a long time and a tourniquet is easier than changing hosts. Or SSL wasn’t near the top of your list when shopping for a host.

Please don’t feel I’m attacking your approach, as I know it’s a struggle for those in the shallow end of the web admin pool. Your new knowledge has pushed you a little closer to the deep end.

I don’t feel attacked ! In fact I think you have hacked my Web-Cam! because that is exactly my situation.

I appreciate that you and others who come here just for SSL realize how important SSL is, yet did not shop for a host who offers it for free. Maybe because you’ve been with that host for a long time and a tourniquet is easier than changing hosts. Or SSL wasn’t near the top of your list when shopping for a host.

I did use Cloudflare flexible SSL successfully before on a website without Wordpress and it was great. I would have continued with Cloudflare this time I think with the Full option and a self-signed cert - if only I could have understood the process and it worked ok with Wordpress
Thanks again for all your help

1 Like

No offence either, but to be honest, the discussion is a bit tiring. This topic literally comes up on a daily basis because people do not bother to search nor to acquire the necessary knowledge to handle the topic (or pay someone) and believe a single click on some random platform suddenly makes their site bulletproof. That simply is not true and, as mentioned, it does get tiring if you get these topics every single day, several times.

Does a self-signed certificate make your site secure? No, all it does is add an insecure SSL layer. If you want a properly secure site you need to configure a valid certificate on your server and switch your site’s encryption mode to “Full strict”. That is the only secure choice (leaving aside the obligatory decryption on Cloudflare’s side).

My advice, get such a valid certificate on your server (and if that requires changing host, so be it).

In any case, congratulations to your forum anniversary :slight_smile:.

Sorry to tire you - if you get these queries so often maybe it needs to be made clearer on the Cloudflare site. But points taken

• research the knowledge that you do not yet know you will need
  • pay someone to get your free certificate
  • don’t click on random platforms like this
    Thanks for the clarification - you don’t need to reply I have obviously taken up enough of your time

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.