Reason behind the DNS privacy

It is a a common problem: https://community.cloudflare.com/search?q=akamai
That is because you do not use Cloudflare CDN but its competitor.
Everybody have to use only Cloudflare products which works seamlessly wth each other.
And all competitors should go away because they do not work well with Cloudflare products (or vice versa, Cloudflare does not work well with non-Cloudflare products?)

Thats not a competition or Cloudflare or CDN or whatever issue but most likel simply the missing client info in DNS requests.

Cloudflare CDN uses anycast and thus does not depend on missing or present client info in DNS requests.
But Akamai do depend on it entonces for the clients who use 1.1.1.1 Akamai CDN is slow, but Cloudflare CDN is not slow.
For the faster experience possible one have to use 1.1.1.1 and Cloudflare CDN.

These things are not related and the site in question does not even use Cloudflare. The issue here is that missing bit.

It is their fault not to use Cloudflare.
They use Akamai and it resulted in slow experience with 1.1.1.1
They have to switch to Cloudflare as soon as possible to provide the best experience

Are you the new member on Cloudflare’s sales team? :wink:

1 Like

I guess you are, because you are trying to disguise a smart marketing trick (on the brink of conflict of interest, to be honest, but nevertheless a smart one) as a privacy feature.

Whaaaaat? :roll_eyes:

Christ, what are people capable of making up on the Internet! Can we close that place please?

You just recommended everybody should switch to Cloudflare to “get the best experience” and now you accuse me of being an apologist for Cloudflare because I explained the underlying technical reason?

Seriously, people, get a grip! :roll_eyes:

The technical reason is:
Unlike other public DNS servers 1.1.1.1 does not send the information which almost every CDN need (except Cloudflare CDN).
So using 1.1.1.1 does not affect websites which use Cloudflare CDN but makes slower websites using other CDN (Akamai, Amazon, …).

The number of 1.1.1.1 users grows, the website owners hit the problem personally (like our topic starter) or via user’s reports and the simplest solution for them is to move from Akamai CDN to Cloudflare CDN.

I do not think it is a bad thing, it is smart and good for sales and presumable legal, if Akamai has not sued them yet.
I just do not like the hypocrisy of presenting this marketing scheme, which is obvious for any technical, as something privacy-related.

I am sorry but I would sense a certain conspiracy theory touch in your response.

First, there wouldnt be any base for a lawsuit as you suggested in the first place. Second, I seriously doubt Cloudflare refrained from implementing that feature to hurt the competition. Their privacy argument is quite solid.

Third, I just switched to Cloudflare’s DNS and did try the link the OP has mentioned and still got a pretty good throughput of around 20 mbps.

Long story short, let us please check the tin foil hats at the door :slight_smile:

BTW, could you explain this?

I have two question (not related to my argument about sales, just curious):

1. What privacy you are talking about? Hiding IP of a web surfer from website operator? Really? Is it a secret?
  2. What would be a business model behind a free DNS server made-for-privacy? We know what 8.8.8.8 and others do collect big data and use it in various ways. How does 1.1.1.1 returns the investments ?

It is not web related in the first place. The point is not to reveal the client IP to the upstream nameserver.

Do we? Please elaborate.

For example if was used to find fake ad-clicks made by MethBot gang

I am not familiar with the case you mentioned but I would not be surprised if Cloudflare used anonymised data to analyse certain behaviour.

Haha, the funny conspiracy theory is deleted, cool!

Nothing has been deleted, it has been moved here.

What for? Except to distract the CDN which depends on client IP knowledge.
Authoritative (or “upstream” in your parlance) DNS server will likely answer with the IP the client will connect on the next step - whether it is web, ftp or another protocol - and reveal the client IP.

So the Cloudflare approach is just to prevent revealing the client IP one step before.
In other words - to introduce an intentional delay for those who use the client IP from the DNS.
And I see only one group of the users of this info - non-anycast CDNs.