Reaching max DNS queries per day

Hi!

What happens if we get more than 250.000 DNS queries per day in the free gateway plan (50 * 5k)?

Best regards
Heino

I haven’t seen this limit listed in the documentation. It looks like you’re multiplying the free 50 users by 5,000 requests. Where are you seeing this?

I have found this limits here: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048153211-Billing-for-Cloudflare-Gateway

Interesting. That predates the new plans, but I don’t see why that limit would change.

You’ll probably need to get an official response. Either [email protected], or a ticket:

To contact Cloudflare Customer Support, login & go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support and select get more help. If you receive an automatic response that does not help you, please reply and indicate you need more help.

Thanks for your help. I will open a ticket.

1 Like

In general? Nothing.

There are a lot of ways to consume a product like Gateway. Per seat makes sense where you’re using the Gateway client and/or playing along with the honor system. The “limits” included there are generally speaking, going to be interpreted as guidelines at the moment (e.g. I am aware of no current plans to automatically bump someone up to 51 seats when they hit 250,001 queries in a day).

However if you’re running Gateway to protect a site (vs. using the client) and are consistently blowing through that number we’d be interested in having a discussion… at this point mostly because we’d like to understand why if you’re below 50 users so we can better model various use cases vs. wanting to charge you more. I mean unless you’re really, really blowing through that number and then maybe it’s reasonable we have a cost related discussion?

Between my stupid ‘smart’ thermostat and my fancy color changing lights alone I hit > 4k queries a day. So we understand those numbers are uh… rough. At the same time, occasionally someone may (un)intentionally abuse our service for %reasons% and guardrails help with that.

4 Likes

What? No local DNS resolver (PiHole)?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.