Questions about Spectrum Origin

Hello,

I am trying to proxy my domain which host an application on a server
However, this application communicate with other computers that have an agent installed, and the agent’s communication is not on the network ports list supported by CloudFlare
After some researches, I discovered Spectrum, which is supposed to solve pretty much exactly my issue

While reading the documentation, I saw that you need to put an “Origin” IP for the application in Spectrum, but what does it mean ?

Is it the IPs allowed to communicate to my domain on the specified ports ? If it is, is there a way to put no origin ? As I have multiple agents that are moving accross a lot of IP ranges, I can not specify an “Origin” IP

Or is it the IP of the application’s server ? If it is, what is the point ? As there already is a DNS record to specify to which domain this application is linked

I am lost, and need some guidance

Thank you !

I’m hoping this is TCP.

Spectrum is much like a regular Proxy here. You point it to the IP address of your server, but add the port also. You also create the Hostname, like you normally do in DNS, but with the proxied port also.

For example, I had a firewall blocking my Port 22, so added a Spectrum App at hostname ssh.example.com Port 443, and the origin was the IP address of my server, plus Port 22.
So I’d SSH to port 443 on my hostname, and Spectrum would “tunnel” that to my origin server. I could do this SSH from anywhere, and Spectrum would proxy it to my origin server.

This is an Enterprise feature, so it’s a ton of money, but you get a bunch of awesome features for that zone as well.

1 Like

Yes, it is TCP

Thank you ! I do understand better now

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.