Question on setup and use of Argo Tunnel

Hi,

I learned about Argo Tunnel this morning when I logged into my CloufFlare account and turned it right on. The question that I have is two fold.

My main Domain is registered as a free CloudFlare account. I only get around 20 GB of files allotted in my web plan so I had to make arrangements to server the files from home on a Linux Web Server running in my basement attached to an ultra fast Fibre connection with a static IP. This is a different domain that the one I have registered here. This DNS is hosted by DYN and redirects to my static IP and port forward through my router to my Linux Server.

So, if my main domain is anydomain.com (CF) and my files are linked at anyotherdomain.com (HOME) would I have to set (HOME) up with a free domain account and enable Argo and Argo Tunnel there? Or at (CF) pointing to (HOME)? The reason this is confusing to me is the partial setup allowing you to keep your current DNS records and when you setup a new site in CloudFlare you’re asked to change your name servers.

Having said all of that. what’s the best way to set the Argo Tunnel up so my files at (HOME) are protected and my home network doesn’t get hammered by hackers? Thanks very kindly in advance.

What you can do here is move your home web server to a private IP. Then you would install cloudflared on that same home web server and launch cloudflared with a hostname on anydomain.com (your existing CF account). cloudflared would proxy your local fileserver (localhost:YYY) where YYY is the port you were hosting your files from.This means you wouldn’t need to use anyotherdomain.com at all and your web server won’t need to be on a public IP.

That’s fantastic thank you Joaquin. I did leave out a few details. That Static IP actually goes to my router and I do have a private 192.168.1.x IP address already on my Linux web/file server.

Could I possibly get some more information on an Ubuntu installation for my file server, any example of some sort for installing cloudflared on it? Also, can that port be 80 which is how the files are shared now. Thank you again.

The quickstart guide should get you going:

https://developers.cloudflare.com/argo-tunnel/quickstart/quickstart/

The agent, cloudflared, is available here:

Joaquin

I was hoping for some detailed information on how to install the package. Like in some of your other documents.
For example - https://www.cloudflare.com/technical-resources/ states:

Download the appropriate package to your web server and install it using your operating system’s ‘rpm’ or ‘dkpg’ commands.

For RedHat / CentOS / CloudLinux:

# yum install glibc.i686
# rpm -i mod_cloudflare-elX.latest.rpm

For Debian / Ubuntu:

# dpkg -i mod_cloudflare-XXXXX.latest.deb

We’ll look into making the docs more clear. Were you able to get up and running?

Joaquin

Hi @gmcabee - Were you able to get things setup for your needs? We’d love to hear more about your experience with the product. I think @Brady might even have some additonal questions for you :slight_smile:

I just gave up to be honest and placed my home ip under a Cloudflare free account and set the security level to high. After answering a survey about my experience I complained that I had already turned on ARGO and spent money and was left without a working solution. My Argo mysteriously turned itself off after that and I haven’t followed up on it. I love Cloud flare so please don’t take this the wrong way. Eventually the documentation will catch up with the product and I’ll give it another go. But since it is a pay feature I’d prefer documentation that is more verbose. Have a great day and thanks for following up.