Question about enabling email routing

Before asking, did you search first? Press :mag:I need to set up a new email subdomain and was curious what kind of DNS records are created. The first step the setup asked was to delete some MX and SPF records.

I don’t mind doing that but was hoping to have a better idea of what was going to happen next. My goal is to either prevent or limit any disruption in mail flow. Would failing back be as simple as turning off email routing and adding the MX records back manually?

I assume once I email routing is enabled, I will just manage the MX and SPF records via the email routing portal.
at the upper right to search.

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

If you already have a proper mailserver to use in an MX for your domain email, you will be better off using it. Cloudflare Email Routing is simply email forwarding, which has been an increasingly unreliable practice for at least a decade as DMARC adoption rises.

Unless you have a compelling reason to switch to Cloudflare Email Routing, I wouldn’t.

I honestly don’t want to bother with it for my primary domain, but I do need to set up some new subdomain to start sending bulk/promo emails from.

Best I could tell, the email routing is required.

Cloudflare Email Routing does not send emails. You would be better off to manually configure the records described by your bulk email service provider.

2 Likes

What do you mean about sending emails? I don’t need it to send emails, I need to create and manage a new email domain and I need to manage MX, SPF, or any other relevant required DNS records.

Those records are exactly what I am trying to configure.

That is done from your Cloudflare Dashboard DNS app. You can reach that here: https://dash.cloudflare.com/?to=/:account/:zone/dns

You have to create those records in your DNS by using the data provided by your outbound email service provider. They are not controlled Cloudflre Email Routing, and enabling Cloudflare Email Routing will prevent your email from being correctly sent to your existing mailserver.

Cloudflare Email Routing is the name of an email forwarding service and it has nothing to do with your email authentication records: DMARC, DKIM, SPF. It is most useful as an unreliable method of directing domain email to an existing third-party mailbox. If you already have domain email, enabling it will break your email!

What configuration details has your email service provider offered you?

I am thinking email routing is not what I thought, and I am headed down the wrong path.

Something directed me to that on Friday and I started making this more difficult then needed. I am blaming my lapse on my brain being checked out early on a Friday. Thanks for your help

1 Like