PTR records for Hostgator

I have my DNS hosted at cloudflate my domain at hostgator and I’m using zoho CRM to also send/receive. I pulled up email deliverability at hostgator and it gave me advice about spf and dkim and I implemented those. But it also says I have a ptr issue. So I added a ptr record but this didn’t seem to fix the issue. Here’s what hostgator says, " The system sends “nurturechi.com”’s outgoing email from the “xxx-xxx-250-189” IPaddress. The only PTR value for this IP address must be “gator3324-hostgator-com”. This is the name that this server sends with SMTP’s “HELO” command to send “nurturechi.com”’s outgoing email.

1 unexpected PTR value exists for this IP address:

• xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.unifiedlayer.xyz

To fix this problem, contact your system administrator and request that they replace all PTR records for “xxx-xxx-254-192-in-addr-arpa” with the following record at “ns1-unifiedlayer-com” and “ns2-unifiedlayer-com”:

Suggested “PTR” (PTR) Record then it gives the record as: xxx.xxx.254-192-in-addr-arpa. and the value as
gator3324-hostgator-com.

I am not sure what to do to correct the error. Is this a ptr record that I enter into my dns, or is the something Cloudflare is supposed to do?

In this instance it’s unlikely that you’re managing these PTR records, so you would be asking however manages the IP address in question. However I see no reason why a server which isn’t hostgator would have a hostgator value as it’s PTR value. Since the IPs are obfuscated it’s not possible to really tell what is going on, but if you’re sending mail from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.unifiedlayer.xyz then you’ll want to include it somehow in your SPF record to designate it’s allowed to send mail on behalf of your domain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.