Proxy_set_header X-Real-IP from remote server

my stalker portal uses a Cloudflare proxy, and users who connect to boxes have the correct ip address on the portal. But users who connect via the smart-stb web application have an invalid ip address, more precisely they have an address from the smart-stb server and when changing the ip address to Cloudflare on the road, an error of authentication occurs on the stalker portal.
means my flow merging
user app - smart-stb ip server - Cloudflare - my stalker
I get an IP from smartstb, not from a user ???

ip address smart-stb server
Knowledgebase - Smart STB shift-recording-and-archive…html

please help !!!

Cloudflare’s CF-Connecting-IP header can only tell you the IP address of the client that made the request to Cloudflare - in this case, in your flow, the smart-stb ip server.

Look at the X-Forwarded-For and see if that holds what you’re after - that can have multiple IP addresses as a request can pass through several proxies.

I tried various combinations but without success, or I get the ip address of Cloudflare or the ip address of the smart-stb server. I can’t get a real ip address of the user !!!
no combination of CF-Connecting-IP or X-Forwarded-For gives the correct ip address but only with that smart-stb app ??
for other devices I use I get the correct ip address of the user

I don’t know what the problem is ?? in nginx settings or Cloudflare?

If the ‘smart-stb app’ isn’t adding the user’s IP address into X-Forwarded-For then you won’t be able to get the client’s IP address.

You need the ‘smart-stb app’ to add the user’s IP address into a header that will then be passed on by Cloudflare to your origin, which you can then use.

1 Like

Assuming the flow is as follows:

User --> smart-stb server --> Cloudflare --> Origin (nginx)

From Cloudflares perspective the client IP is the IP of the smart-stb server, they do not know that the User exists. If the smart-stb server is not including some header (such as an XFF header) then there is no way for Cloudflare to pass that data to the Origin.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.