Proxied Connection AND Total TLS

Hi All,

I have an issue with Proxied DNS entries and Total TLS SSL certs. When both are enabled connection randomy drops with a 520 error lasting for approximately 5-7 minutes at a time. If I turn off Proxied (there by using the local cert in IIS) -OR- turn off Total TLS (there by using the Advanced certificate currently in the dashboard) then connectivity is resumed and is rock solid.

Any ideas?

A 520 error occurs when the connection started on the origin web server, but that the request was not completed.

Review the Quick Fix Ideas in this Community Tip for troubleshooting suggestions.

CJ24N

Hello there,

This is indeed an abnormal behavior, as the Total TLS would just cause a certificate issued by it to be presented to the visitor (Visitor ↔ Cloudflare), while the 520 error usually means a problem in the communication between Cloudflare and the origin web server (Cloudflare ↔ origin).

Ref:

Although the way this issue is reproduced is not clear to me, I would suggest you to review the Total TLS Limitations, as using it under these circumstances can different results (although probably not 520 errors):

Ref:

If the limitations are not applicable to your scenario, we may need more information to troubleshoot this issue, such as the website URL that is being attempted.

Hope this helps you moving forward with this case.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.