These steps do not apply when using another domain registrar: instead, change your nameservers at your domain registrar, not Route53.
To properly change nameservers when your domain is registered via Route53, follow these steps.
- Go to Registered Domains on the left sidebar of the Route53 dashboard.
- Click on your domain name.
- In the top right corner, click on the Add or edit nameservers button under the Name servers section.
- Click the x beside all of the default Route53 nameservers, removing them.
- Add the two Nameservers that Cloudflare gives you, leaving the third box blank.
- Click on the blue Update button. Click on Confirm if needed.
By following these steps, you ensure that your domain’s nameservers are changed properly and benefit from the Cloudflare’s advanced security and performance.
Note: Do not change nameservers through the Hosted Zones panel. Changing them in the Hosted Zones panel does not properly change nameservers and Cloudflare will be stuck at the “Pending Nameservers” status.