Problem with setting up email routing

I’m trying to set up email routing and it’s telling me to add DNS records for my root domain. I’m not a tech person and I don’t know what this means or how to do it. Please help.

Under the settings, it will tell you the needed records to make and might offer to set them for you.

You should see something like this

and that translates into DNS records like this

When you enable Email Routing, the the required DNS records for the Email Routing service are automatically added for you, including a check for any existing conflicting DNS records.

If you’re concerned about the “A few more steps are required to complete your setup….Add an A, AAAA, or CNAME record…” message under “DNS” settings in the menu, those DNS records are not required to use Email Routing, only if you wish to configure a website, etc.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/email-routing/get-started/

Here’s a step-by-step guide.

In the video he is saying that the Catch-all address should be disable because of so many problems.
I would like to here more about this problems.

There are some generic usernames such as admin, support, info, and contact which are often misused by a spammer. It is better to avoid this username and prevent catch-all. When you enable catch-all, it opens the door for all usernames which you don’t even know.

It is better to specifically define a custom username rather than using catch-all (a lazy man approach).

1 Like