Possible to block empty Hostname?

The problem is that some hostname is “empty” or with a question mark (?). This empty “hostname” generates almost to 100% “hacker” traffic. So my question is about to block all these potentially danger traffic by using WAF or similar.

What is the domain name?
My domain is go4webdev.org amongst other…
But the visitor have no domain or host name

Have you searched for an answer?
Yes

Please share your search results url:
None. All answers is about when the hostname is “valid”.

When you tested your domain using the Cloudflare Diagnostic Center, what were the results?
No DNSSEC and DS record, but all other green.

Describe the issue you are having:
Getting unwanted traffic that potentially slows down and are potentially harmful

What error message or number are you receiving?
All empty hostname passing through.

What steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

Does not work…

Was the site working with SSL prior to adding it to Cloudflare?
Always used Cloudflare Flexible

What are the steps to reproduce the error:
Track the ip numbers in the web application and lookup suspected ip-numbers.
ip = r.Header.Get("X-Forwarded-For")

Have you tried from another browser and/or incognito mode?
It is not a browser problem as I understand it.

Please attach a screenshot of the error:
About 100 hostnames with no host name every day. I redirect suspicious pages to a “spam page”

As most web servers, Cloudflare’s whole concept relies on the hostname. So requests without a matchin hostname will never be sent to your server in the first place.

Obviously this rule does not apply to my Cloudflare account. Why?

This ip-address is sent to my server requesting a “non existing page”. I have no “admin” page…

This rule applies to all domains. Cloudflare can’t forward anything to your server without that field.

These will be direct requests to your server and you need to make sure your server only accepts connections from Cloudflare. Please use the search for further details.

However, the screenshot you posted probably has nothing to do with your hostname, but rather refers to a PTR record for those IP addresses.

That’s neither a Cloudflare issue nor an issue at all. These IP addresses simply have no hostnames.

Actually, that’s the issue. You have an insecure site.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.