Possible Design Bug RSS Feeds

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this so just thought I’d mention it. Blog posts acquired via RSS Feed are showing two images each time a new article is published. Not sure if it’s intended but just in case it’s not.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.18.28 AM

1 Like

Thank you @dikaio, I also see the duplicate images, we appreciate you letting us know. Tagging @ryan @adspedia fyi.

1 Like

This is happening because the RSS feed XML specifies an image to be used as a “header” for each

<media:content url=“https://blog.cloudflare.com/content/images/2021/05/image1-8.png” medium=“image”/>

This image is also (pretty much always as a design template for CF blog) the first image in the blog post. When the RSS reader renders the content it shows the image twice.

The only options would be either:

• do not specify media:content, in which case readers that do not show the blog content itself would also not show the image or
  • do not use the image as first element in every blog post, which could be going against their stylebook, but would show the image only for both readers that render or not the content.

I personally don’t have a problem with the image double up as the current setup will show the content directly on the reader without having to click to visit the site.

It’s not a tech issue really but a design style issue.

Completely agree, more of a design issue but I’m curious if there is not an easy fix to this.

If the is caused due to the image being the first element wouldn’t adding one element above the image e.g. timestamp, etc as a hidden attribute or better, reordering the elements with flex.

.article { display: flex; flex-direction: column; }
.timestamp { order: 2; }
.image { order: 1; }
.content { order: 3; }

<div class="article">
   <div class="timestamp">
       <!-- timestamp here -->
   </div>
   <div class="image">
       <!-- featured image here -->
   </div>
   <div class="content">
       <!-- content here -->
   </div>
</div>

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.