Point nameservers to Dreamhost of Cloudflare Registered domain

I registered a new domain name with Cloudflare and now want to point it to be fully hosted on my server at Dreamhost ie add nameservers ns1.dreamhost.com ns2.dreamhost.com ns3.dreamhost.com I can’t find any place to do this, on most registrars it’s dead easy.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

Afraid, domains registered with Cloudflare can’t use other nameservers.

You’ll either have to use Cloudflare’s DNS service or transfer the domain to another registrar (though the latter is only possible after 60 days).

eugh. Sounds like another nightmare with Cloudflare. Nothing is ever simple here. So what I point the A records to get it partially hosted over there instead? Thanks

It’s not that difficult, but the registrar service really is primarily for people who plan to use Cloudflare. It’s rather an add-on than a regular registrar service.

As for the DNS records, that’s something you need to clarify with your host.

That’s what DNS does, it points records to the hosts where the resource lives.

Ok thanks the installed wordpress site now shows up for the domain name, will have to read around options on getting email functioning. Usually I would register a name on any random registrar point the nameservers to dreamhost vps and then checkbox the Cloudflare option. Anyway thankyou both for your help.

I’d just drop an email to your host, they should be able to provide you with the necessary DNS records.

Thanks, if it helps others got it all working on the website front from the guide here https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214694378-What-DreamHost-DNS-records-do-I-point-my-site-to-#:~:text=If%20you%20wish%20to%20point,change%20your%20domain’s%20A%20records. and the free beta email option offered on the Cloudflare menu is all functioning now, so no need to provide own mx records. So all set.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.