Please excuse my ignorance - HTTPS question

Hello, I’m new to using a CDN. I need to add HTTPS to my site. I normally do it by purchasing a certificate and using a dedicated IP address… I see that I get the certificate through this service. Can anyone tell me how to do that and how to implement it on my website?

Thank you!
Emilia

If you want to use Cloudflare’s certificate you will need to route/proxy all your traffic through Cloudflare’s network. If that is okay with you it is actually pretty easy as the visitor-facing certificate is automatically handled by Cloudflare, however in order to encrypt the second connection between Cloudflare and your actual server you will still need a certificate on your own server. That could be either a regular one or an Origin certificate issued by Cloudflare.

Alternatively you could also simply have a Let’s Encrypt certificate issued for free and install it on your server. If you only want HTTPS that might be the easier option. It really comes down to what you are looking for.

2 Likes

Extending on sandros comment I achieved this by using Cloudflare origin certificate and locking the servers firewall down to my ip for ssh and Cloudflare ips for Web traffic took less than 2 minutes to setup

1 Like

Thank you… it sounds like an awesome solution, but i have no idea what any of it means or how to do it… Anyway to explain it to me, the non techy?

I’ll go with the Let’s Encrypt option… now just have to figure out to make it happen… Thank you for your reply.

https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/ should get you started, respectively they have a forum too.

I can offer a step by step for both methods if it is something you wish.

That’s super nice! Actually, I figured it out. Thank you so much for suggestions.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.