Phone broke - lost Google Auth 2-factor and don't have backup code

My phone broke and I have lost my Cloudflare 2-factor Google Authenticator info and don’t have backup code.

How can I disable 2-factor and rescan a new QR code? I still have access for now and can log into my Cloudflare account.

If you are logged in you should disable 2fa from the members tab of your account page (you’ll probably need the code to do that, however). If you get locked out, you’ll need to contact support from the email address associated with your account. They’ll ask a lot of verification questions. This tip lists those questions in order to prepare and has ideas for work arounds and options, Community Tip - Best Practices For Setting up and Using Two-factor authentication.

Just a tip: For those considering enabling 2FA, on Cloudflare or elsewhere, it’s always a good idea to scan the bar code with two gadgets if available. I always scan them with Google Authenticator on my cell and tablet. In case one gets lost or broken, I have the codes on the second gadget.

1 Like

That’s a good tip! Thanks guys, i was able to revive my broken mobile and reset the 2FA, I now have this on more than one device.

2 Likes

Or, better yet, use Authy :stuck_out_tongue: they have their own account recovery process in case you can’t access your 2fa tokens.

2 Likes

I also keep a copy the Secret Key, which is basically a text version of the QR code.

2 Likes

I know someone that prints the QR codes :man_shrugging:. I also copy the key or screenshot the QR code and put them in a secure location (encrypted)

2 Likes

In most sites you can right click on the QR code and “save image as” to a safe location.

1 Like

True, but some sites do strange things with javascript so I’ve just been accustomed to do the one sure way that works every time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.