Paused now what

  • How long has it been “authorizing” for?
    About 50 hours
  • Have you contacted Cloudflare support?
  • If you have, how long ago and what is the ticket number?
    30 Hours, Ticket = 1636479
  • What is the plan level for the domain in question?
  • What error, if any, is displaying on your site at the moment?
    None, I temporarily deactivated Cloudflare based on the auto response I got

Hi @pwardell, sorry for the issues you’re seeing. I’m seeing the site is not paused and getting ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH. On the SSL/TLS app, can you turn disable universal ssl (bottom of page), leave off for a few minutes and then cycle it back on? Please post back and let us know if that has an effect.


Hi @cloonan that’s not correct, the site IS paused. That’s what the auto response from tech support said to do until the Universal SSL was authorized. But it’s now been over 3 days and it’s still not authorized.

ah, yep, got it. Thank you. Can you disable universal ssl on the SSL/TLS app, wait a few minutes and re-enable?

@cloonan Ok, I’ve done that. Still in the authorizing certificate state.

Good morning @cloonan, is there anything else I can do to get the certificate to authorize? It’s almost 4 days now so if Cloudflare isn’t going to work, I need to find another alternative. Thanks for any help you can give!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.