Partial CNAME of root/apex name hosted at R53

Gotta say that the Partial CNAME setup when using Route53 is particuarly confusing, at least for me, so hopefully someone can dumb it down for me.

Basically, we have a domain eshealth.com.au using R53 NameServers.
After adding the domain to our CF business account, which created a bund of DNS records in the portal, as per doco we’ve proxied requests for our www site by putting in R53 a CNAME to the <x.x.x>.cdn.cloudflare.net and I can see traffic in our Cloudflare dashboard, which is good. In CFlare www.eshealth.com.au is a CNAME to our AWS ELB for our website.

Where my confusion comes is at the apex/root record.

The www site tends to redirect to the root eshealth.com.au but we also want people to go directly to eshealth.com.au which of course will then get resolved by R53 as the AWS ELB IP’s and therefore not get proxied by CFlare so I’m really confused what needs to be done record wise to get the traffic proxied. R53 only allows an ALIAS/CNAME of the apex/root to other AWS infrastructure or static IP’s so I can’t change it to <x.x.x>.cdn.cloudflare.net like I did for the www record.
In CFlare DNS I’ve set the root/apex CNAME record to our AWS ELB because thats what the doco seemed to say but I can’t see that its having any positive affect.

Hope someone can tell if I’ve misunderstood something and what I can do to get requests for eshealth.com.au going via CFlare.

Thanks in advance

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.