Page rule not forwarding after 24 hours

I followed the very helpful tutorial by @domjh to redirect educationpost.org to https://www.edpost.com/, deleting the CNAMEs pointing to WP Engine’s advanced network and adding the dummy A records. The records are proxied. And I turned off “Always Online.”

Now 24 hours later the interior pages of the site are still being served without forwarding. For instance, https://educationpost.org/explained-how-to-run-for-your-local-school-board/ should be going to https://www.edpost.com/explained-how-to-run-for-your-local-school-board/ but it’s still not.

The curl in Terminal shows it still pointing to WP Engine. And whatsmydns still shows that the WP Engine IPs are the only ones propagated.

Is this just because propagation can take 48 hours? It’s always been much, much shorter than that in my experience, which makes me think I’m doing something wrong with the settings.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @digital-team,

Thank you for checking the tutorial, I’m glad you found it useful!

WP Engine ‘Advanced Network’ appears to use Cloudflare for SaaS and I’m wondering if that’s the issue you’re running into here. Can you try contacting WP Engine and ask them to remove any Cloudflare configurations for your domain, specifically SSL for SaaS / Custom Hostnames.

If WP Engine are unable to help you, please email [email protected] with the subject Cannot remove custom host name and details of the issue. Once you’ve done that you’ll receive an automatic response with a ticket number. Please post that here so we can escalate it. Once you have reached out to Support they will ask you to verify domain ownership of the domain by adding a txt record to the domain in order to verify domain ownership.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I worked with WP Engine support but they were unable to fix this. I sent the email as you described and the ticket number is #2415701.

Thanks for escalating this issue!

The plot thickens. WP Engine can’t figure out how to help. However, when I remove the proxy from the A records, the new IP address propagates immediately. However when I add the proxy back, it immediately starts serving the old CNAMEs that I deleted two days ago. And the page rule doesn’t execute, even though it’s turned on.

Cloudflare support still hasn’t responded!

That very firmly points to a SaaS setup that WP Engine should have removed and have not. I cannot understand why they say they can’t help with this, I think the support reps do not understand the issue - if you get to the right people then they can fix this in less than 5 minutes.

I’m afraid there hasn’t been anyone from Cloudflare to check on community escalations today so they could resolve it ‘by force’.

OK, I resolved it. In case it’s helpful for anyone else reading up this thread: Even though I had removed the old domain as the primary domain in WP Engine, I had left it connected as a redirect (just so search traffic wouldn’t see a lapse). Turns out I needed to delete this domain entirely from the WPE account, somehow it was keeping the Advanced Network proxy alive.

Sorry I didn’t try that sooner. @domjh thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.