Official: Google Chrome 69 kills off the World Wide Web (in URLs)

Safari has hidden both https:// and .www/.m for a long time now. It used to (perhaps still does) allow users to change the behavior via settings, though not for the iOS version. (I wonder how is it with Android) I don’t think I ever felt the need to see the www on the address bar. So that move by Chrome doesn’t really bother me.

The only thing that actually annoys me in this, is that if I decide to eliminate the www. from my websites, Google will penalize them in rankings for a long time. It’s a pain to make such a move and Google will not make it any easier. They should own up to their decision that www. is irrelevant and make it easier for websites to drop it.

1 Like

The fundamental issue is: domain.comwww.domain.com. These two names can point to completely different addresses or not to any at all.

One cannot assume www is always a CNAME of @ but this is what Google is doing in this case. This is bad decision and I dont know what they were thinking.

1 Like

The argument made by @floripare agrees with you. If they believe they are the same they shouldn’t penalize it in rankings, if they don’t they shouldn’t hide it.

This is true as a rhetorical statement. Yes, I know you can point them to different content. But can you point me to any real-life cases where the content of naked domain and www. differ? (And of course I don’t mean sites created to the sole purpose of supporting the above rhetorical statement. :wink:

The universal adoption of redirects from www > naked or vice-versa means that for practical, SEO purposes there’s a consensus that the content in them should not differ, though technically it could.

In the article @sandro linked to above, there’s (EDIT: not a guy) a gal from Google saying they won’t hide m., only www.

1 Like

I am sorry but I disagree, it is not just rhetorical. It is common that www and @ often point to the same but it is by no means a necessity. As long as these two records are independent they should also be treated independently.

I really dont understand what the problem should be with displaying the FQDN and why some Google PM appears to believe it is paramount to strip certain hostnames.

OK, my Chrome has started doing this… and I hate it. Especially when troubleshooting on here!

Oh yes, www seems to redirect to the root domain… aarrgghh! No it doesn’t - that’s just Chrome :joy:.

My certificate only works on www, doesn’t appear to on my root domain… Looks fine here (insert screenshot here)… Ah, no - I agree - Just Chrome confusing me :expressionless:

1 Like

It is a moronic decision.

Anyhow, @domjh you can disable it and revert back by setting the flag mentioned in the article.

1 Like

Thank you, hadn’t seen that!

Well, honestly, I’d rather recommend a switch to Firefox in general anyhow.

I use both, anyway!

They will remove this flag soon. :pensive:

Are you sure? I sincerely hope they wont. I am using Chrome only for tests, so it wouldnt change much for me, but for people who use it as main driver, that flag is the only option to use that browser in a sane way.

Ceterum censeo, switch to Firefox :slight_smile: