NS1 uses Cloudflare?

Todays incident with Cloudflare took a lot of websites down, things like this happen and for a free service, Cloudflare does a BRILLIANT job!

Now the funny thing about todays downtime is that I have noticed NS1 uses Cloudflare as their DNS service? Quite ironic for a DNS provider to use a competitors DNS service, do they not trust their own? rolls eyes

Ignore my bookmarks
:shushing_face:

They are using Cloudflare to protect their website.
Either they are CF partner, or just don’t want to rely on their own services in case of a major outage or attack to stay reachable.

Sure it looks weird to end customers but makes sense from technical point of view. And I am sure you wouldn’t have noticed this without the ‘502’ incident.

1 Like

Also, Cloudflare offers more than just DNS. So nothing wrong with that choice.

NS1 is an awesome company. They use their own DNS service though:

dig ns1.com ns +short
dns1.p10.nsone.net.
dns3.p10.nsone.net.
dns4.p10.nsone.net.
dns2.p10.nsone.net.

Enterprise customer by any chance? :smile:

Maybe, but they seem to run their own NS as their NS1 isn’t being answered from a Cloudflare location.

They do and their nameservers are registered in their name. I was trying to make another point though :wink:

Not sure. Not mine if they are. I really do admire what I see/hear from them as a company. The DNS space is large enough for lots of companies/competition. If all of them were as good as NS1 the Internet would be a much better place.

It’s a strange setup, they do seem to be on Cloudflare, but the DNS reply is not a CNAME needed with the CNAME setup. Could be that it’s doing some flattening on their DNS edge.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.