Novice question: name server change & Gmail

Almost embarrassed to ask as I’m not a web developer. So I changed my name server from hostgator to cloudflare’s; I had previously set up using Gmail for my domain’s email, now that I’ve changed the name server, do I have to change anything (ex. MX record) so I can continue to receive emails via gmail.

Hope this question makes sense, HALP Pls :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t have to be embarrassed to not be a web developer. Every web dev out there started without knowing much about these things.

The most important thing is that you copy over your DNS records. In the example for custom domains on Gmail (GSuite?) is, that you set up your DNS MX records.

Make sure, you have DNS records like those:

Name Type  Priority Value
@    MX    1        ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
@    MX    5        ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
@    MX    5        ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
@    MX    10       ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
@    MX    10       ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

Optionally, you can add DKIM/SPF records, but that’s not necessary for emails to just work.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the help Tom! Much appreciated and looks like my DNS record from my cloudflare dashboard does show exactly that. So its working fine right now (will double check tomorrow when the 48 hrs threshold passes).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.