Not sure the CDN works

Hello,

First thing important to say, I’m new on Cloudflare and mostly you can consider me as a beginner.

Context :
I’ve build a website on Wordpress : “beautifyshape” just to show my activity. It’s a very simple one, only few pages (less than 5) and static, nothing to sell…
My web host is in France, it’s OVH (because I’m french and I heard of the quality of this company) but I live in Cambodia and 100% of my traffic (customers) come from Cambodia too. Therefore I’ve decided to install a CDN to accelerate the time response of server when people connect to my website. I’ve choose Cloudflare (free package) and logically I think I’ve configure it correctly but I don’t see the benefit.

This is here a first painful point for me.
How can I confirm that the CDN works ?

I tried different paths but not even sure that I test the good thing :

Test 1 :
There is many website to test the speed of a web page and all of them give different values. I use :

• Page speed insight
  • Pingdom
  • Webpagetest

Some give details of the test and show a waterfall where we can see the time to connect at the server : Exemple on WebPageTest : around 600ms
I also use Google Dev Tools to see it.
Results are always between 500ms/800ms, that sounds very long.

Test 2 :
Another test I do but I’m not even sure it’s relevant is to check the “traceroute” on : locaping and ip2location
Results I get :

• Singapore : 243ms / 248ms
  • France : 13ms / 15ms
    Look like the time is always faster in France that in Singapore (closest test I can do from Cambodia).
    In my mind, that should be very fast from Singapore too.

Test 3 :
I test the DNS performance from different places on tools.KeyCDN :
Results are so long from everywhere that I believe the CDN doesn’t works.

If someone could help me on this topic, that would make me very happy !
Is there a specific method to be sure that Cloudflare works ?
What kind of result should I expect ?

I know that I have still plenty of other upgrades to do on the website to make it faster, minimise code, delay JS… As I’m a beginner, I do it step by step.
If I can resolve that point, I will come back to the community to ask help to configure the cache. Currently on Dr. Flare, 0 file are cached by Cloudflare. It’s another topic so I will explain it in detail later.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or if you need any information.

What is the domain name?
beautifyshape

Have you searched for an answer?
Yes, so much, I read a lot of docs and tutorials but I lack the knowledge to understand everything. I learn step by step, but after hours of research, I must confess to being really stuck

When you tested your domain using the [Cloudflare Diagnostic Center], what were the results?

There is 3 errors :

• no_dnssec_found
  • not_found_ds_record
  • mx_does_not_exist (I know that this one is for email, I will integrate it later)

Was the site working with SSL prior to adding it to Cloudflare?
Yes. SSL from my web host OVH

Have you tried from another browser and/or incognito mode?
No. I’ve tried many different ways (all on Chrome) to test and I always get the same result.

Best regards,
Yann

PS : In my original message, all links was integrated and many screenshot was added but as a new member I got this message :
“Sorry, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.
Sorry, you can’t include links in your posts.”
Sorry for my readers :man_bowing:

Today I was checking if anyone would had answer my message and then I’ve started looking some from other people.

If found one interesting where @fritex answered with some advices and a great link to :
[25 Ways To Fix A Slow WordPress Site And Pass Core Web Vitals: 2022 Advanced Guide]

That allow me to understand a bit more about how to test if the CND works.
If found a great tool to see TTFB speed : speedvitals…com
Before i used : tools.keycdn…com

Today, I can’t explain why, but both test deliver good results what make me very happy !

Thank you very much @fritex !

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Then, I would recommend that you host your website near your customers.

Run curl -I YOUR_DOMAIN.TLD. If you get some headers like Server: cloudflare, cf-ray: 03828f893a38e1-LOC or similar ones, then Cloudflare works. If not, try proxying (:grey::orange:) your website’s DNS connections.

You should setup DNSSEC, if your registrar and TLD supports it.

I would suggest that you do the following things:

1. Install the Wordpress Cloudflare plugin.
  2. Use an WP optimization plugin. I would suggest WP-Optimize, which is the one that I use and improves radically the website’s speed.
  3. Consider purchasing APO (Automatic Platform Optimization) for $5/month, or purchasing the Pro plan for $20/month (includes APO and a bunch of other website optimization options + email support).

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Hello @Lumito,

Thank you for your answer, sure it helps :grinning:
I tried the code you gave to me and the result is positive, Couldflare works !

Sure you are right about to change the host, I will consider it at the end of the one year contract.
All advices that you gave are taken, I’m going to dig all of them.

Thank you very much :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.