Noob quandary

Sorry for the lengthy noob question. Just starting out and not sure how to even ask the question, so there is some background.

Been through the documentation and forums, but no joy.

Read somewhere that http3/QUIC is faster and more secure and Cloudflare is the best host for that. So I am using Cloudflare servers for a domain name histed 101domain.com. probably issues with that, but Cloudflare link to tranfer regisrar says “Tranfer conditions not met”.

The actual content, versioning, and posting is hosted on GitHub and GitHub Pages.

Per the documentaion, I changed the DNS servers at 101domain.com to these Cloudflare servers:

Cloudflare sent an email confirmating that the domain [ CSS.FOO ] is active and I can see it in the Cloudflare dashboard.

To complete setup, Cloudflare is asking for DNS records.

I am no DNS expert. I would trust Cloudflare to know better I. Does Cloudflare auto-magically insert correct/appropriate/secure DNS records at some point? At least to be able to get up and running?

I read through the DNS record setup documentation but it doesn’t give syntax examples, other than for it’s API. Where can I find GUI syntax examples of recommended DNS records, using Cloudflare’s provided GUI?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

D7460N

When moving an existing site’s DNS to Cloudflare, you should be able to refer to the records at your existing DNS provider. Here is a link to the Community Tutorial on adding DNS and one to using a custom domain with Github Pages.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

What is the default IP address that I should enter? Why doesn’t Cloudflare automatically assign needed defaults?

I have 12 more custom domains to go. Do I really have to go through and manually assign default server IP addresses for each custom domain?

On the same page, I also see…
"Required steps to complete zone set-up.

Add an A, AAAA, or CNAME record for www so that www.css.foo will resolve.

Add an A, AAAA, or CNAME record for your root domain so that css.foo will resolve.

I found these v4 and v6 IP addresses here…

IP Ranges | Cloudflare

…and it either says they are not valid IP addresses or gives the error “A CNAME record with that host already exists.” (Code: 81054).

It feels like I am missing something really simple…

Please advise.

Thank you very much!

Because there is no such thing as “needed defaults”. Cloudflare doesn’t lknow where you are going to host your site, and even if it did, the host may have thousands or thousands of IPs for their customers.

I don’t know why you attempting to assign Cloudflare Proxy IPs to your hostnames, but that is not going to do anything beneficial. Those are provided for people running their own servers who want to do things like restore visitor IPs or block connections from anywhere other than the Cloudflare proxy. They are not for use in your DNS records.

If you are using Github Pages, you should be following the directions that I already linked in my initial reply.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.