No universal certificate is generated (even after disable/enable)

I am unable to get HTTPS working when I enable cloudflare (orange cloud) for my domain. I get the error: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

When I go to the dashboard and navigate to SSL/TLS > Edge Certificates, underneath the “Hosts” table, I see “No certificates.”

Also an error message shows up at the bottom of that page saying:

API Request Failed: GET /api/v4/zones/4ed7a7e6926265c731aee4f6f43ada56/ssl/certificate_packs?status=all (500)

Following the advice from the FAQs and also this ticket Missing Universal Certificate I tried scrolling to the bottom of that same page and clicked “Disable Universal SSL”. I waited 15 minutes and turned it back on and nothing changed.

How do I get Cloudflare to generate a universal certificate?

One additional detail, I can’t remember exactly, but I think I downloaded a cert from the “Edge Certificates” or “Origin Server” page in Cloudflare at some point in the past—could that be affecting the server’s ability to create the universal cert?

Out of curiosity, in the Cloudflare Dashboard’s SSL/TLS section, do you have your domain set to Full (Strict). Anything but “Off”. You probably need something turned on in order to get an Edge Certificate.

If you did enable SSL, then something is most likely broken, as the Disable/Enable should get it working. That other download stuff you did shouldn’t affect your Edge Certificate. So open a ticket:

Login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support by clicking on the Get More Help button.

Yeah, I had “Full (Strict)” checked the whole time. OK will try contacting Cloudflare support (just filed ticket #1828024). The 500 response in looking up the certs feels relevant too.

Thanks!

1 Like