No Significant Difference in Speed after upgrading to APO and PRO

Hi. I have recently purchased Cloudflare APO and then upgraded to PRO Plan. I am also using Advanced SSL certificate. But after doing so there is no significant difference in speed. I am using these page rules.

The traffic is also very low. A friend told me that his website’s traffic dropped after switching to Cloudflare. Do you think is this the case?
I have upgraded to APO and PRO just to improve website speed and avoid traffic drop. I have enabled polish feature in speed optimization and enabled webp. But when I open the images they are not served as webp. How many images can be resized using pro plan? Can you recommend any additional page rules to use on pro plan? Thanks

Some features including APO made my site slower as well. You have to test which features work for your site. I only enabled the features that make my site faster, along with LiteSpeed Cache, all my pages score above 90 for mobile and 100 for desktop.

Traffic to my site actually increased since I started using Cloudflare. I don’t know why, perhaps, because my site has become faster.

1 Like

Please make sure to run the benchmarks/speedtests multiple times, since the first run after clearing cache will result in no performance improvement, since it’s a proxy CDN which will is just able to deliver cache as soon as the second request. Running it twice or three times is recommended.

Some benchmarks even send "pragma": "no-cache" which will could bypass APO and therefore make the benchmark not reflect the actual performance. Therefore it is recommended to run benchmarks where you can inspect the headers of requests from the benchmark.

2 Likes

Do you have Adsense Ads on your website?

I get

age 10241
cache-control max-age=0
cf-apo-via tcache
cf-cache-status HIT
cf-edge-cache cache,platform=wordpress

Then your APO works.

Yes, I do.

I am not getting high scores on mobile due to Adsense Ads.

Adsense is a bunch of javascript that will slow down your site. To benchmark APO you should disable Adsense or any other big external javascript component while testing. Cloudflare can’t help speeding up external components that inject code.

But @newbie110 is getting good scores with Adsense Ads. @newbie110 what page rules are you using and what setting do you use for browser cache TTL? Do you think this response header cache-control: max-age=0 has some conflicts? It is from the wp rocket plugin.

I’ve seen nothing but significant improvements with APO enabled. With that said, I do use more than just APO though. I also use other Cloudflare services such as Image Resizing, etc. For Image Resizing, I have a Cloudflare worker rewrite the image URLs into the Image Resizing URL format site-wide.

Below, is a screen capture of a test I just ran with WebPageTest:

The F for Progressive JPEGs can be ignored. The only thing listed there, when clicking on it, are Gravatar images. If not for the Gravatar images, that would be an A-grade. The Cache Static Content grade is only a B because of external resources as well.

I’m not sure, offhand, if other caching plugins would interfere with APO. But, it’s probable though. I’d removed all other caching plugins prior to enabling APO. So, I don’t have first-hand experience using APO together with other caching plugins.

How can it be done? Will it have any additional cost (if using Cloudflare PRO)? and I get an F in first Byte Time.

I was using a Pro plan for the longest time, but had upgraded to Business a little while ago.

Image Resizing is a paid service. 50,000 monthly resizing requests are included with Business and Pro plans. $9 per additional 50,000 resizing requests.

There are different ways of implementing it — Cloudflare Worker, manually, WordPress plugin, etc. Personally, I’d settled upon using a Cloudflare worker to do the HTML rewriting site-wide (front-end and admin area alike). However, there’s a WordPress plugin on GitHub that does similar. But, on a somewhat more limited basis though, and it doesn’t get all of the images everywhere.

If you were to go the Cloudflare Worker route, with a $5 paid plan, the first 10,000,000 Worker requests per month are included. After that, additional requests throughout the month, are $0.50 per 1,000,000 requests.

I’d tried the WordPress plugin before, but prefer to use a Worker though. Regardless of how you were to implement Image Resizing, it’s still a paid service. By using a WordPress plugin to do the rewrites instead of a Worker, you save on the cost of the Worker, but still need to pay for the Image Resizing itself though.

1 Like

How many images ? 50,000? or each time the image is clicked it counts for 1 request?

Each image resized would be a request. With Image Resizing, you can transform images on Cloudflare’s edge platform. You can resize, adjust quality, and convert images to WebP or AVIF format on demand. Cloudflare will automatically cache every derived image at the edge, so you only need to store one original image at your origin.

Cloudflare Image Resizing · Cloudflare Image Optimization docs

Can we control which image should be resized?

It’s up to you to implement however you want.

Where can we see the requests stats and how can we control the images which are to be resized?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.