No Longer Supported | Cloudflare Plugin for WordPress (Part II)

Dear Team Cloudflare ( @mbullock ),

This is a continuation of the topic presented here.

It appears Cloudflare’s plugin for WordPress – for most part – remains unsupported. The plugin’s GitHub site can use some help as well.

Until the plugin’s fate is decided, can you guys kindly incorporate some (or all) of the ideas presented here to cool things off?

Cries for help go back to 2019 (see References below).

Thank you!

References: (sample)

The Cloudflare WordPress plugin does not look very abandoned.

Attribute Value
Version 4.12.0
Last updated 4 weeks ago
Active installations 200,000+
WordPress Version 3.4 or higher
Tested up to 6.2.2
PHP Version 7.2 or higher
1 Like

Hey @epic.network,

The plugin was updated with a “cover sheet” (i.e., stating it’s compliant with WP 6.2.2) – most likely – in response to this comment.

In essence, this is all we’re asking for:

1. Fix all the deprecated warnings and/or notices caused by PHP 8.1.X and PHP 8.2.X
  2. Answer the most important inquiries posted in the plugin’s support forum. Per WP guidelines, Cloudflare is not required nor obligated to answer any of those inquiries, but it sure would be nice.
  3. Update the plugin to ensure it reflects most features (i.e., settings) noted in our standard Cloudflare dashboard. Bouncing back-and-forth between the plugin dashboard and our Cloudflare dashboard aint’ fun. :frowning:
  4. Pin a note (or two) at the top of the plugin’s support forum explaining Cloudflare’s future plans for the plugin, etc.

The above should be quite easy to complete – and will help many.

Cheers!

1 Like

If it is truly is

You can always submit your pull requests.

Github seems like the correct place for the first item on your wish list.

If I were in charge of the plugin support, I would pin a post on WordPress announcing that all support discussions need to occur in the Cloudflare Community rather than fragment efforts.

Three seems like it is better suited as specific feature requests on Github.

Four is very much a low priority “might be nice but not really necessary” type of request. It offers very little value in exchange for the expense of allocating resources to achieve that end, especially if the product is not likely to require any significant quantity of new features.

Hey @epic.network,

Thanks for your insight. Good points.

If you think about it, there should be no need for a GitHub pull request. What’s listed above should happen naturally – without us even mentioning it.

Can’t fathom why Team Cloudflare is not spending more effort to update its plugin and support its customers (free and paid). They have the resources. It’s a great opportunity for one of their co-ops or newbies to get their “hands wet” with their products.

Oh well, peace amigo! :slight_smile:

Everything @epic.network wrote is spot-on and I generally understand your sentiment, however

this is somewhere where I have to disagree. None of that really is easy, in particular not the regular updates regarding the UI.

As @epic.network wrote, the version seems to be actually up-to-date and if there are some bugs, it’s best to post that at Github. You referred to PHP warnings, can you point out which ones?

While I generally agree that an offered product should be supported and Cloudflare often lacks in this context (not only here), it’s simply not clear what they should actually do here.

Also, no offence, but free users are hardly customers. Proper, paid customers definitely should get support, of course.

Hey @sandro,

Thanks for your input as well. In response:

The term “easy” is relative. I recognize that. An experienced coder, however, should be able to tackle the above with no major hurdles to contend with.

The PHP warnings or notices are listed in the plugin’s support forum. Others can be identified by simply loading the plugin, Query Monitor, onto a test website using PHP 8.1.X first, then PHP 8.2.X.

See above list. In addition, these pinned posts deserve to be re-evaluated and updated (or deleted).

No offense taken. I get it. Would you like to guess how many of Cloudflare’s 200K+ plugin users are paid customers? My guess: 40% or so (mainly due to APO and WAF). That’s 80,000 paying customers that would benefit from the updates and support. We’re one of them.

Cheerio!

Fair enough, I agree the deprecations and notices are something that should be fixed and should have been fixed for a while. On the other hand, it seems there is not a single bug report on Github, which certainly does not make it easier either. To be fair, there is a pull request for some notices, which has been pending for two months.

Overall, yes, the plugin probably has not received the attention it may deserve, especially as it is part of a paid product. However they do somewhat maintain it and it’s still usable, so I would not call it unsupported.

Generally, though, Cloudflare certainly follows the modern company ethos in many ways (and is most definitely not alone) to make the product work somewhere but still ignore many issues. It’s the as long as it works mentality.

Notable exception, the core proxy service which really works well most of the time (maybe because it’s still from a different era :slightly_smiling_face:).

As for the plug in, I second @epic.network’s summary, best to open a bug report.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.