No improvements with CDN?

Hey,

we ve started using the CDN free plan 2 weeks ago. We do not see much improvement.

The domain is message-for-you. net

This table has the data of the last 2 weeks with CDN and the 2 weeks before installing CDN.

Performance overview before with CDN
Avg. network time 1.95s 0.46s
Avg. transfer time 0.28s 0.52s
Avg. DOM completion time 7.75s 8.12s
Avg. page load time 11.79s 11.79s

Avg. server time 1.84s 2.72s
Avg. DOM processing time 3.91s 4.19s
Avg. on load time 0.01s 0.01s

The average server time is quite slow. Is this caused by our hoster? They do not uses SSD-hosting.

The server is in germany, visitors are from wordlwide. So we thought, a CDN would make a stronger impact.
The increase of transfer time is probably caused by adding more content (and lots of pictures).

We use WordPress and we use the PlugIn Hummingbird for caching and to minify JavaScript, CSS, HTML
Would it be better to use Cloudflares Auto Minify to o minify the files nstead of using the PlugIn?

I know that we ve to work on image compression and on CSS and Java… but it seems to me, that the servers of our hoster are especially slow. Even in the WordPress-Backend it is very slow at some times.
In Matomo we could see that the server- and networktimes were very high on some days. Today Server Time is 5,86 sec., before CDN it was 1,9s. Server time has been increasing since we ve installed the CDN.

Our provider would not share server performance (field) data for our account.

Would Cloudflare APO help? I mean would it complete circumvent the slow servers of our hoster?

Thank you very much

Tobias

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I’d suggest you to:

1. Optimize origin host / WordPress and tune-up your PHP values
  2. Install some plugin for Page Cache like WP Super Cache
  3. Leverage the CPU load and PHP generating the pages with loading the resources on your origin host/server with Cloudflare’s “Auto-minify” option for HTML, CSS and JS (no need to use minify plugin for it)
  4. Depending on the Cloudflare plan you’re using, play a bit with enabling the features like Rocket Loader, HTTP/2, HTTP/3 (Quic), 0-RTT … on a Pro plan you can take the advantage of the TCP Turbo, Enhanced HTTP/2 Prioritization, Mirage and Polish
  5. Enable “Argo Tiered Cache” (free) and try out the “Argo Smart Routing” (paid) feature for a month or less
  6. Try out Cloudflare APO for WordPress for a month to test out things
  7. Upgrade to some advanced hosting like a VPS server or a shared hosting with additional features like Redis / Memcached / OPCache to help you out

If even the WP admin dashboard is slow, I am afraid you should look for better web hosting provider or upgrade your plan (which might cost you too much, depending on the provider), or at least troubleshoot your theme and plugins:

From my experience, WordPress knows to “hang” and be difficult (especially when using much plugins or at least WooCommerce and similar in combination like multi-language, etc.) to handle on a shared web hosting plan.

Might want to try out to tune-up your PHP values a bit at your server/hosting provider/cPanel if you can:

memory_limit = 256M
max_execution_time = 300
max_input_time = 1000
max_input_vars = 5000 or 7000
post_max_size = 64M
upload_max_filesize = 32M

You should install some of the WordPress caching plugin for cache like WP Super Cache:

Might depend on your origin host / web server what have you got installed, therefore all of the things might not be enabled and cannot be if you’re on a shared hosting.

Nevertheless, regarding performance, you can try out and configure Cloudflare APO for WordPress for a month and see how it goes:

3 Likes

Hey, Fritex,

thanks for your answer. I ll answer step by step.

For now the problem is urgent but has an other cause:
The mySQL-Database keeps inflating rapidly. It is around 1,5 GIGAbyte.
Downloads of database-Backup are around 60MB.
This should be the cause for the (unsually slow) server.

the Server-loading-time (measured in Matomo) started growing a week ago. I assume that a plugin-update started filling up the database around that time.

I need to find out which database tables are inflating and which plugin is causing that. is there any plugin that will show the sizes of the database tables?

I’m glad to hear that you have identified a potential cause of your site’s performance issue. You should be able to gather details about your database internals, such as table size, with standard management tools. No additional WordPress plugin should be necessary. How to accomplish that is off-topic for the Cloudflare Community. The Database Administrators forum on StackExchange may be a good place to search for useful techniques.

1 Like

A bit off-topic, I’d suggest switching, if already not, to InnoDB engine and…depending on the host type, tune-up the MySQL.

I’ve got WordPress databases up to and one website with a bit more than 3GB.

Cloudflare’s Argo Smart Routing feature could help to deliver the dynamic content, however I am afraid your origin host/server has to be a better one firstly.

If it’s in a compressed file, yes it does ends up in a much lower size than original .sql.

Yes, that’s a bit tricky to figure it out, however worth it to check and troubleshoot the MySQL queries being executed.

First which comes to my mind is WP Optimize, in case you don’t have access to some database management tool like phpMyAdmin:

1 Like

Thank you both,
you re of a great help and a real blessing!

probably it s a mixture of different Problems.

I ve used WP Optimize to optimize and clean out the Database. Real Database-Size dropped from 460 to 200MBs. The Webhoster reports always a Database Size 3times higher that what phpmyadmin reports.

servertime is moving back to normal and (hoping) to better than before.

we ve used caching with the plugin Hummingbird. Which behaved very weirdly: it kept deleting the fresh cache-html-files after a few seconds. This should have slowed down the server and probably reduced the benefist of the cdn

Now i m using wp optimize for that and will see how that works

Our php-memory had been set to 60M which might have slowed things down. we ve changed that.

we need to check if we use argo smart, routing APO and upgrade our server. As far as i understand, APO with cdn and html file caching should (mostly or completely) circumvent our slow server? If yes, that should be priority.

but before we ll have to see how the performance evolves before making further changes.

But using Cloudflare has increased the Servertime. Before using the CDN it has been around 1.8- 1.9sec. and with CDN around 2.2-2.3 sec (before the database problems)

thank you
Tobias

Would APO with cdn and html file caching by WP Optimize (mostly or completely) circumvent our slow server?

ok, we ve installed APO and tested it according to the “get started”-guide.

As far as I understand, we do not need to cache via WP-Optimize anymore?

servertime has dropped from around 1,9s without CDN to 0,34sec with APO.

But when I test it in browser developer tools, I keep getting load times of HTML and sever waiting times of 1,4-2,7 sec. It shows cache status “BYPASS”. Is this about “disabling cache for logged in users”? I ve tried with different browsers (where we re not logged in into WordPress).

The Browser Tools disabled the CDN Caching, even when not being logged in

Thank you for feedback information.

Nice to hear that!

Ye, that’s low. See the recommended PHP values from my post above and adjust & test them out.

In conclusion, any kind of a Page Caching for WordPress nowadays is recommended, especially on a websites where we got a lot of traffic and visitors.

I prefer to use it only on servers / web hosting providers which are somehow unstable, or low on resources due to he client paying not so much for hosting but expecting very fast things, so I use it to optimize database mostly. Then deactivate and/or remove the plugin as far as Cloudflare later leverages the code eminification and speed up things, so the server / WordPress doesn’t have to do anything in that terms.

Maybe in events when you’re logged into WordPress and testing or not logged-in (normal visitor/user)? :thinking:

Otherwise, it might take a minute or so to generate a cached version of the HTML document, therefore serve it to your Web browser. I’d suggest testing in multiple different Web browsers, just in case.

thank you very much. We re still testing, mostly with the order in which script and css is being loaded (via preload in header.php and hummingbird asset optimization).

we re trying Rocket Loader from Cloudflare. But it seems that it would not always defer third party scripts (google translate function, google tag manager and shareaholic for the share-bar). Rocket Loader adds a script that needs to be loaded and slows things down.
so maybe it would be better to defer the scripts via header.php or hummingbird.

Will Rocket Loader defer third party scripts?

Any info on this?
thank you

Rocket Loader should do the work of deferring JavaScript detected in the html markup, including 3rd party scripts.

Helpful article if you’re doing it manually:

1 Like

thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.