No difference on Pagespeed insight

Based on what do you say that? The screenshot from eight hours ago clearly shows your files are being cached.

I believe they’re talking about page speed insights reported listing of browser cache enabled assets which are set to be cached for more than 30 days (cache-control headers). @jeuspro assets aren’t showing up under that efficient browser level cache listing as either they do not have browser cache control headers set on their origin web server end or the cache control header for expires/max-age is set below 30 days.

technically this isn’t an issue with cloudflare but origin web server as cloudflare by default sets to whatever is read from origin web server’s cache control headers unless you configure cloudflare to override such https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200168276-Understanding-Browser-Cache-Expiration.

Yes. My problem is that every tutorial on the web seem to assume that we know where to look in the first place to set up caching rules, and that we’re not a noob.

I mean, i get stuck at the very first sentence on the google documentation:
" Configure your server to return the Cache-Control HTTP response header"
I don’t even know if i have to open filezilla and edit a file from here and wich one, or go to my Cloudflare dashboard, or my host one.

It would help if I could find a “you open this and you click here, and you write this here” tutorial, but it doesn’t seem to exist. Plus I’m french so event if my english is quite good, my brain is overwhelmed and this is all really just chinese to me lol

Could that be the problem?

Look that the response headers not request headers. Response header has max-age=31517835 so very long browser cache which for never changing static assets is what you ideally want most of the times

Looks like w3-total cache plugin is what controls your cache-control settings so look into those

Google-fu is an acquired skill through alot of practice :wink: :slight_smile: Pretty sure Google has french language search too and probably could filter down to french language sites returned in search ?

It wasn’t automatic. It was cached after I tested, had an error code, and then hit the “test again button”. I did tht for almost 10 urls on my website to get the “hit” status. You checked just after that. That’s why you saw “hit” too.
But then I purged my cache. If you check again now, you’ll see that i have an error code. “Expired” or something else. I can’t manually test each of my site urls everytime I update my site so that it caches the resource.

I’ll try to check again with W3 total cache if i’m missing something.

Thank you

you don’t have to, visitors to your web site will warm up and populate your cache when visit your web pages and load your assets

if you don’t have any traffic or little traffic then your pages cache status will be in expired state or new cf cache status dynamic state (when you tell cf not to cache an asset) instead of hit state more often but eventually will move from expired state to hit state once visitors populate your caches

see https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172516#h_bd959d6a-39c0-4786-9bcd-6e6504dcdb97

HIT The resource was found in Cloudflare’s cache.
MISS The resource was not found in Cloudflare’s cache and was served from the origin web server.
EXPIRED The resource was found in cache but has since expired and was served from the origin web server.
STALE The resource was served from cache but is expired. Cloudflare couldn’t contact the origin to retrieve the updated resource.
BYPASS The origin server instructed Cloudflare to bypass cache via a Cache-Control header set to no-cache , private , or max-age=0 . BYPASS is returned when enabling Origin Cache-Control.
REVALIDATED The resource is served from cache but is stale. The resource was revalidated by either an If-Modified-Since header or an If-None-Match header.
UPDATING The resource was served from cache but is expired. The resource is currently being updated by the origin web server. UPDATING is typically seen only for very popular cached resources.
DYNAMIC The resource content type was not cached by default and your current Cloudflare caching configuration doesn’t instruct Cloudflare to cache the resource. Instead, the resource was requested from the origin web server. Use Page Rules to implement custom caching options.

Sure, if you purge your cache the files will be gone. But the point is not what happens when you clear the cache, but that your files are actually cached.

As I said hours ago, the issue is not Cloudflare. The files are cached and are served from the cache. The issue rather seems aforementioned optimisation issue of your site. Thats a common theme with Wordpress and something you will have to fix on your server I am afraid.

I understand things might be complex and there’ll be more information in English than in French. At that point it might be a good idea to hire a developer to take care of these things.

I wondered if the fact that I wasn’t having traffic online yet could be the issue, you answered that :slight_smile: thank you. CF wasn’t caching because it’s a new site, online but still in development and I was trying to optimize it before it even has traffic, in order to submit a fast website to google’s index. I think I understand how it works better now -> the cache is being filled while visitors download resources

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.