Newly transfered website not respecting DNS changes

I have recently pointed my dns to cloudflare (12 hours ago).

using dns checker everything shows cloudlfare. I’ve changed the ip address to point to my new server.

However…my server can’t see the new settings and users can see the new site its still pointed to old broken site.

I have probably 100+ sites via cloudflare and have been using cloudflare for a few years now…any ideas?

Ping from my computer shows cloudflare ip
Ping from my server shows cloudflare ip

i deleted the record and re-added both cname www and the a record

I think there is something wrong with cloudflare

If it’s :orange: proxied, the public IP address isn’t going to change.

well the issue is not the dns not pointing to cloudflare it is, as is shown with the ping.

The issue is when going to the domain, it’s still pointed to the old ip address that it originally had when imported the dns records 10 hours ago.

Purged cache, deleted a record, cname and re-added the correct ones…but changes aren’t seeming to be recognized in the cloudflare eco system even though changes are showed in my control panel.

Also toggled the https from full to flexible to full

But nothing seems to work.

Put in a support ticket, but this is on a free account and the automated response simply says to post in the community, however it seems this is a cloudflare bug. Or am I mistaken?

That’s highly unlikely.

It sounds like you’ve updated a DNS entry with the new site IP address, but content is coming from the old site.

Without knowing the URL, it’s difficult to diagnose, but can you verify that the two name servers listed at the bottom of your DNS page are the ones showing up in a WHOIS lookup?

Another option is to unproxy that DNS entry, then wait five minutes and see if requests go to the new site.

I appreciate you!

It sounds like you’ve updated a DNS entry with the new site IP address, but content is coming from the old site.

Correct…and the ping means its not an ISP caching issue its cloudflare side.

can you verify that the two name servers listed at the bottom of your DNS page are the ones showing up in a WHOIS lookup?

Yes they are verified as the mine.

Another option is to unproxy that DNS entry, then wait five minutes and see if requests go to the new site.

I went a little bit further than that and completely deleted the record (without unproxy) and then re-added the records. I also toggled the https from full → flex → full to see if that triggered anything. I also purged cache.

Since we chatted a cloudflare human responded with basic stuff, but she is a human and I re-explained the issue so hopefully she has something.

I have worked with 100s of domains on cloudflare, i have seen this issue maybe 4 times…but it has happened before. Unfortunately for this restaurant owner i am helping their site is down so now its a bit more mission critical because saturday night is a big food ordering night.

I will try the toggle see if that makes a difference, but at this point cloudflare should try to document this scenario as something behind the scenes is not triggering a refresh of the new ip address.

If it’s :orange: proxied, then ping isn’t going to help. As I already said, the Cloudflare Public IP address for your site won’t change.

That’s not going to settle the issue if you leave it :orange:. If you unproxy it and wait five minutes, that traffic will go directly to your server, and your ping test will actually tell you something.

Cloudflare got back to me and the issue is this:

This 404 is not returned by your origin, it is returned by XXOLDCOMPANY.com that managed this domain via custom hostname before. If you want to manage hostname XXXMYCLIENTDOMAIN.com in your own Cloudflare account, please contact them to remove their SSL for SaaS configuration for this hostname: https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/ssl-for-saas.

Whats crazy to me is that the old company has any position of authority in this matter for this domain…it was registered by my client on godaddy…and they pointed the DNS to the cloudflare DNS for my cloudlfare account…any idea why the previous company has any authority? That seems to be a bug.

Because they had permission, and that permission was not revoked.

@sdayman

Thanks for your time, the solution was out of my control…which is a little scary that the previously INCOMPETENT company that has wasted HOURS of my time still had the ability to mess things up, here is their response that lead to the only possible resolution:

SSL for SaaS v2 providers have to offboard and remove their SSL for SaaS v2 custom hostnames in order not to interfere with future hostnames created by others. This is their responsibility and they are required to clean up offboarded hostnames from their configuration as custom hostnames take precedence. This is not a bug, but expected behaviour. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by it.

Since you do not have any way to contact your previous SaaS provider, I have manually offboarded chileverde.com , so your issue should be resolved now:

So…hopefully the hours spent on this help the next guy not wasting hours.

I love cloudflare! But I humbly say that if the DNS no longer points to that SaaS v2 provider account…then that SaaS v2 provider should have 0 power on the domain. Or maybe I am not understanding something.

Cheers everybody.

It’s not the first time this has happened. As I said, it’s a permission issue. Someone gives their host permission to connect their domain through a special partner setup with Cloudflare.

Then they wader off, not telling their host to stop the connection. So they end up at Cloudflare and want to use their own setup, but Cloudflare is still honoring the original agreement.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

MoreHelp is not appropriate at this point, as the immediate issue has been resolved. If you want to make a suggestion, try this section:

ACTUALLY…its not resolved. Even after the cloudflare tech support person manually fixed it…it was resolving properly…and now its back to that “other” companies server again with their broken ■■■ 404 page.

not resolved.

Hi Ben - I know you have a parallel Support ticket open with the team - let the Cloudflare Support team follow up with you there to get this resolved - there’s some manual work required that cannot be completed in the community.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.