Newbie questions on Cloudflare

A couple of days ago I received an email from Cloudflare [details anonymized]:

In order to get FQDN running on Cloudflare, you need to update your nameserver (NS) records to point to Cloudflare. This critical final step only takes a few minutes.
Update your nameservers
Login to your registrar
Find instructions for your specific registrar

Update your current nameserver records with the ones we have assigned to fqdn.com:

1. amit.ns.cloudflare.com
  2. betty.ns.cloudflare.com

Only these two Cloudflare nameservers should be listed at your registrar. All other nameservers must be removed.

The Cloudflare Team

My domain name is registered with No-IP so I logged in and changed my nameservers as above. [BTW, there aren’t instructions for No-IP.] I run a PBX with a bunch of remote extensions which point to FQDN as the registry server, and this immediately broke all of them. I went back to No-IP and changed the nameservers back to ns1.no-ip, ns2.no-ip, etc., which, after a few minutes fixed the problem.

When I check the Cloudflare status on my domain name, it says:

A few more steps are required to complete your setup.

Some of your DNS only records are exposing IPs that are proxied through Cloudflare. Make sure to proxy all A, AAAA, and CNAME records pointing to proxied records to avoid exposing your origin IP.

Under DNS management for FQDN, there are six rows, four of which have orange triangles beside them, and under the Proxy Status column for all four it says DNS only. The other two rows, which don’t have orange triangles, have Proxied in the Proxy Status column.

Hovering the mouse over the orange triangle produces the note:

This record exposes the IP behind FQDN which you have proxied through Cloudflare.

It’s not clear to me what’s going on. Can someone provide detailed instructions which won’t break my FQDN again? Thanks!

This happened after you registered on Cloudflare, right?

In order to use Cloudflare you need to point your domain to the nameservers assigned by Cloudflare.

Don’t do that, your domain will be removed from Cloudflare in this case.

Not sure what broke here exactly, but you need to make sure that all necessary records are configured on Cloudflare and that their proxy status is according to their use set (:orange: for everything web related, :grey: for everything else).

I’d highly recommend to check out support.cloudflare.com, #tutorials, and the search, as all of that is covered there.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.