New image resizing billing confusion

I have a question about the new image resizing billing.
It is not so clear, your blog article mentions this:

With the new Cloudflare Images, you will be billed only once per 30 days for each unique request to transform an image stored outside of Cloudflare, whether or not the transformation is cached. Customers will be billed $0.50 per 1,000 unique transformations per month.

In other words, if you resize one image to 100x100, then our new pricing model guarantees that you will be billed only once per month, whether there are 10K or 100K uncached requests to deliver the image at this size. If you resize 200 images to 100x100, then you will be billed for only 200 unique transformations — one for each image at this size — each month.

To estimate your costs, you’ll need to know only the number of unique images and the number of different ways that you need to transform those images each month.

However, the billing section shows this table:

Seems like the blog post only considers the Images transformed part of this table, but the Images delivered part is another consideration ?
For example - assuming I only serve one image, transformed only once, but I serve it 1M times - I will pay $10 (Images delivered column) but $0 for images transformed (assuming image storage is not needed). Is my understanding correct ?

1 Like

Hi there Michael,

Thanks for contacting Cloudflare Support.

This is partially correct. In 2019, we launched Image Resizing, which can optimize and transform any publicly available image on the Internet based on a set of parameters.

Cloudflare Images and Images Receizing have now been merged into one single product, hence the pricing update. In the case you’ve provided the example for, you’d be billed for $10, since technically you’ve delivered 1M images, and if you upload an image into Images, then yes, you will need to pay for storage ($5).

In conclusion, you’d be billed for $15, in this situation.

Best,

This is still confusing.

The blog post says:

To estimate your costs, you’ll need to know only the number of unique images and the number of different ways that you need to transform those images each month.

And when I sign up for Images with the “Use my own storage” option (I think this is called the “Images Light” options in the Pricing documentation), I get the following payment information:

For me this reads like I will only get charged for transformations (not delivered images).

So, what is it?

Thanks, Alex

The messaging looks consistent, though not crystal clear on the Delivery aspect.

If you’re using Images storage, that’s on R2, so there are charges for storage and delivery, just like for R2.

Image Resizing is separate, but the pricing is the same either way (except for the first 5K free in the package deal).

Since you’re hosting your own images, they won’t be delivered from Images Storage. You only pay for the transformation.