New CF Dashboard customized to user preferences

CF sent me a survey asking to review their new dashboard Overview page.

I believe 90% people would really love to have their own CF dashboard customised as per their personal preferences -

1. Let the user customize the dashboard / overview page as he wants

2. Provide a “Add chart/widget” button to select from a list of available charts/widgets (to be provided by CF)

3. Allow the user to remove/add/edit charts/widgets from the dashboard / overview page as and when he likes

4. Dont force users to use your Dashboards. Every web admin has a different perspective.

5. I have used GoogleAnalytics android app and its so very good at doing this. It allows you to customize the dashboard 100%. Refer that app for UI ideas. Very simple and amazingly powerful UI.

6. When adding charts, you can provide 3 options - metric/dimension/segment/chart-type/setting/etc. Refer GoogleAnalytics android app UI. Save the dashboard config in CF backend.

7. Please provide a SEARCH BOX at top of all webpages so that user can easily find the settings that he is looking for and make the change quickly without having to navigate by clicks / page downs / tabs / more clicks to finally get to to the exact setting the user wants to change. A quick search box would be amazing.

8. Use Cards UI in the dashboard / overview pages. There are too many settings pages spread all over with so much info. Let the user get to the main ones quickly and keep them in his favorites / recents / overview page.

If you agree, kindly like + upvote + leave a comment to this post so that CF can implement this on priority asap. Thanks !

1 Like

This would sure be nice. Can you Edit the Category for this post and put it in Feedback-> Feature Requests (click on the pencil next to the title)? That way the Community can vote on it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I have changed the category.

2 Likes

Here is a quick summary of the main post. (first post of this topic).

1. Please provide a Search Box at top of all webpages, so that user can easily find the settings and make changes quickly.

2. Let the user customize the dashboard / overview page with widgets (metric/dimension/setting/chart/etc).

3. Provide a “Add chart/widget/settings” button to select from a list of available charts/widgets (to be provided by CF)

4. Allow the user to remove/add/edit charts/widgets from the dashboard / overview page as he likes

5. Use Cards UI for best results. There are too many settings pages spread all over with so much info. Let the user get to the main ones quickly and keep them in his favorites / recents / overview page.

If you agree, kindly like + upvote + leave a comment to this post so that CF can implement this on priority.

Thanks !

I believe that most of this can be done already with Grafana and cloudflare api

I had a quick look at Grafana and plugins for Cloudflare, only 2 were found and they were also limited to view only charts / graphs, dont see any editing capabilties there for settings etc.

I understand that there is not as much shared content available to the public, however, my point stands. Cloudflare panel is mostly a wrapper around the API, anything that you can accomplish on the panel should be doable via the API (you have so much power through their API that they explicitly say that mimicking their services as your own is forbidden).

What should you avoid doing with Cloudflare APIs?
Misrepresent Cloudflare services as your own

If a customer requires a custom dashboard, I believe that they should make the effort themselves given that the API allows us to do so.

Thus being said, I agree that the panel could use some enhancements, I feel like (especially for newcomers) some regions are hard to find. My main complaint starts from the horizontal browsing and not vertical panel :sweat_smile: I think Cloudflare is the only page that uses horizontal browsing (excluding forums…).

I’d be happy even for such a tiny thing as the ability to show more domains/log entries/workers on a single page.

1 Like

I’d love more details on the incoming requests, specially on those that hit the firewall :thinking:. Pattern matching DDoS attacks can be complicated sometimes with the current dashboard, I primarily use it for post-attack information and not for mitigating the incoming attacks.

Now, if we were able to pattern match TLS signatures the mitigation capabilities would go above any available vendor on the market.

1 Like

Unfortunately they just switched from ReCAPTCHA to hCAPTCHA last year due to privacy reasons.

Don’t get me wrong, ReCAPTCHA is doing a better job in terms of identifying human behaviour, but Google also collects additional data from the user, which Cloudflare doesn’t like. This is why they switched to hCAPTCHA.

1 Like

But the problem is why cant they configure hcaptcha to be more easy on humans, why cant they treat normal mouse movements, mouse clicks etc etc as human behavior ?

This is a standard for all bot protection solutions, and it’s not effective. MLs are good at detecting inhuman movements (straight lines, “random” paths…), however, there are algorithms out there that if properly used, would bypass all movement detections. Bezier curves allow the crafter to make curves as smooth as they want, there is no way to accurately detect them without flagging legitimate users in the process.

why cloudflare cant demand better results from hcaptcha with their negotiating power ? why all this “identify pictures” madness with captcha ?

Because it’s the easiest and most effective way of stopping bots, OCRs are well defeated and the current era of captchas relies on image recognition.
It is expected that within the next years we will see a new captcha as image recognition captchas are being solved by bots faster than by humans (hence why there are rate limits, fade in/out and others).

The main issue with hCaptcha is that it’s objectively weaker than Recaptcha, part of it is surely due to the privacy concerns as well as the lack of data that google obviously has (more labeled images, more categories, etc).
Human friendliness also plays a role, Recaptcha will be extremely aggressive with who it thinks might be a bot, adding absurd noise and delays between each image. hCaptcha as of now hasn’t done that.

1 Like

Thats the point. hcaptcha needs to learn from recaptcha. Rate limiting is effective too.

I am working on creating a custom admin dashboard for CF using CF apis and UI templates.

Main issue will be generating test data for all the apis since I dont have access to pro / business plans api data. How to move ahead on that ?

Do the CF APIs cover everything thats on the CF system ?

hcaptcha needs to learn from ReCaptcha. Rate limiting is effective too.

The points where hCaptcha isn’t as good is due to what I said, different ethics and boundaries that hCaptcha can’t violate unless they remove the privacy-first captcha.

hCaptcha already has a rate limit and fade in/out, it’s just not as aggressive as Recaptcha. There is really no point in trying to copy Recaptcha because all the features they use have been defeated.

Currently, no captcha in the market can withstand an attack from somebody who is enlightened in Machine Learning and has access to enough data, the only solution is to design a new type of captcha.

Main issue will be generating test data for all the apis since I dont have access to pro / business plans api data. How to move ahead on that ?

You have a response sample for all cases as far as I know, that should be enough for those cases.

Do the CF APIs cover everything thats on the CF system ?

Yes, it does.

I get your point, still I’d be careful not to overestimate that field.

Hundreds of AI tools have been built to catch covid. None of them helped. | MIT Technology Review

1 Like

Your example is related to research and ML, it is a risky field that involves a lot of failures before one succeeds. However, captchas are based on what the industry needs (cars, stop signals, boats…). ML is very obscure and as of now, many times we have to trial and fail until we hit a good model that suits our needs.

Image recognition models are out there, and they are proven to be very efficient to solve captchas (imagenet, resnet, cifar10…). You need labeled data and a GPU to train the models, the rest is merely submitting the solved challenges.

Captchas as sole bot protection aren’t profitable by themselves, it would be very expensive and little to nobody is willing to pay for it, most captcha providers have a hybrid model where they sell the classified images as well as “bot protection” by delivering challenges.

PS: I’m not over-estimating the field, we have spent months in our research lab studying existing captcha solutions and have determined that all existing captchas, even the most enterprise ones, are vulnerable to a “simple” ML attack (simple being whether if you can find existing models for solving the presented challenge or not), labeled data is not hard to obtain.

We are currently studying other captcha alternatives that the industry hasn’t explored, however, we fall down to the following:

1. Challenge is costly to compute and thus makes it expensive both for us and the customer.
  2. The challenge takes too long to solve or is tedious.
  3. The challenge requires knowledge that the receiver might lack.

The next generation of captchas is likely going to generate human-like text to propose trivial questions to us that are very hard for a bot to solve. This is still not fully bulletproof, however, it makes attacking the captcha way more complicated.
There is one vendor in the industry that already does something similar to this and it seems to be the most challenging option in the market, however, the user experience is considerably worse than clicking 5-6 images. :sweat_smile:
Example of the captcha that I’m referring to:

2 Likes

I would just like to see one thing on the main CF page: The ability to pin or favorites specific sites to the top of the domain list. Or if that’s not possible, just list paid sites first. I have a lot of sites on CF, but only really need to administrate three or four on a daily basis… but they’re alphabetically later in the list and I always have to scroll a page or two to get to them. No, I do not want to use the “search box” to type in the first few letters, that takes even longer.

2 Likes

Yes, favorites/recents/pinned to top and also searchbox at top of pages to quickly search for settings and change them rather than navigating.

Here, not quite on top but available “on click” on the “arrorw” :wink:

I meant - a Search box to quickly search for any setting/sub-setting/page - for ex - search for ssl/tls>overview>mode and jump there directly without the hassle of navigating through to the proper tab and then the specific setting.

Also, need a “favorites / pin to the top” for various common settings/pages/tabs/websites to quickly get there.

1. A quick Search box for searching settings directly (refer prev post)

2. A favorites/pin-to-top segment for saving/accessing your fav domains & their specific- settings. (refer prev post)

3. Pls add/move Error Analytics (4xx 5xx errors) under the Domain/Website/Zone > Analytics section. Currently its under the Accounts section, not very easy to find.

4. Comparison Tool between 2 domains vis-a-vis their settings and show the differences. Great for Admins managing multiple domains in Cloudflare. I read a CF blog post where an intern software developer had created such a tool but its not available under the CF dashboard. Please make the tool LIVE so that we can use it.