Network Class for IP

I have some questions here about network class

If my private ip is under class C, will my public ip will fall under class C too or it might be different?
I mean the class network for public ip is assign randomly or it will follow the original class of my private ip

Class C has been little more than an archaic historical term for nearly thirty years following the introduction of CIDR in 1993. The netmask used by your public IP is determined by the configuration of the network as implemented by its operator, just as the netmask on your private network is configured by its operator, which may very well be you. :smiley:

Your private IP should be assigned from one of the ranges in RFC 1918 - Address Allocation for Private Internets. A /24 subnet (which is not synonymous with the term Class C despite the widespread misnomer) is often sufficient for a typical home network.

While IPv4 is worth learning because it will unfortunately still be in use for countless years, if you have access to IPv6, it is worth taking the time to become familiar with, as it is no longer an idea lurking in the shadows of a distant future. Google reports that over 1/3 of their visitors are using IPv6. Hurricane Electric offers an excellent, free IPv6 certification program and Cloudflare has robust support for IPv6.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.