Need to remove DNS zones for domain not linked to Cloudflare

Hello,

I own the domain drinkfiltered.com, for which I do NOT use Cloudflare’s name servers, as seen by querying the NS records of the domain on any arbitrary DNS other than Cloudflare (e.g. 9.9.9.9 or dns.google):

$ dig @9.9.9.9 drinkfiltered.com ns

; <<>> DiG 9.16.20 <<>> @9.9.9.9 drinkfiltered.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24716
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;drinkfiltered.com.             IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
drinkfiltered.com.      21600   IN      NS      ns-cloud-e1.googledomains.com.
drinkfiltered.com.      21600   IN      NS      ns-cloud-e3.googledomains.com.
drinkfiltered.com.      21600   IN      NS      ns-cloud-e2.googledomains.com.
drinkfiltered.com.      21600   IN      NS      ns-cloud-e4.googledomains.com.

;; Query time: 73 msec
;; SERVER: 9.9.9.9#53(9.9.9.9)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 29 13:52:31 Eastern Daylight Time 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 164

However, when querying Cloudflare’s DNS for the NS records, Cloudflare returns its own servers:

$ dig @ns.cloudflare.com drinkfiltered.com ns

; <<>> DiG 9.16.20 <<>> @ns.cloudflare.com drinkfiltered.com ns
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64263
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;drinkfiltered.com.             IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
drinkfiltered.com.      86400   IN      NS      jerry.ns.cloudflare.com.
drinkfiltered.com.      86400   IN      NS      lina.ns.cloudflare.com.

;; Query time: 41 msec
;; SERVER: 173.245.59.100#53(173.245.59.100)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 29 13:54:15 Eastern Daylight Time 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

Can you remove any zones within Cloudflare? I filed a support ticket for this (#2237115) a week ago, and have had no helpful response from Cloudflare support.

This is blocking integrating with another host (Kinsta), as they are unable to proceed while these zones exist on Cloudflare, effectively holding the domain hostage.

Thank you!

Hi @user6412,

Am I right in assuming you have used Cloudflare on drinkfiltered.com before?
Querying ns.cloudflare.com will return whatever records Cloudflare has stored from when you were using Cloudflare. If you want to remove these records, you will have to remove the domain from Cloudflare in the dashboard.

We have briefly set this domain up on Cloudflare, but since removed it. Additionally, the domain was, at some point, owned by someone else, and I do not know whether they may have used Cloudflare’s services (directly or indirectly) at that time.

However, we are not using Cloudflare on this domain, and do not wish to at this time. The domain has been removed for the past week:

I only added last week to see if manually deleting from the dashboard would have any effect.

Since we do not wish to use Cloudflare at this time, is there a way to remove these zones from Cloudflare?

Yes, in trying to set up the domain (both drinkfiltered.com and www.drinkfiltered.com) to point to Kinsta’s hosting (which I believe is also backed by Cloudflare), they indicate they are unable to do so because there are still zones in Cloudflare.

When setting up these domains, I get 526 Variant Also Negotiates errors when pointing domains’ A records to Kinsta IPs. I was also, at one point, getting Cloudflare 1016 errors on any new subdomains that I create that were certainly never registered with Cloudflare.

I am having the same issue as Kinsta domains in conflict with another cloudflare account and have filed a support request for it as well (#2237115)

Any ideas on how to make progress here?

I had to pay the $200 to get chat support and then had to argue with support for a while before they finally got it fixed. They had me verify that I own the domains using TXT records and then they fixed the issue.

Took them a total of 8 days to finally fix the issue after I verified the domains. CF support is garbage.

:fearful: I was afraid of that… after already having paid $20 for a “Pro” plan despite not actually using any Cloudflare services.

Thankfully, they responded today (12 days after initially opening the support thread) to finally resolve the issue.

Thanks for your insights @adouglas!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.