Need CDN for javascript libraries for small embedded device

I am designing a small device that has limited on board storage, but requires some 6-10 Mb of JavaScript libraries to run. There may be a few dozen of these devices scattered at various locations (so not just one web site). The amount of data transmitted will be limited (likely a few Gb/month max - as a download is only required when performing certain graphing functions). Is there a good low cost way to setup an account such as this.

Thanks

Cloudflare R2 has a free tier that includes 10GB of storage & 10,000,000 Class B operations per month.

Downloading files would count as a Class B operation.

Currently having files publicly available from R2 requires being served through Workers which has a free tier of 100,000 requests a day. R2’s public buckets functionality is on the roadmap for the coming months.

If that works for you, that’s the easiest & is completely free.

2 Likes

Thanks - I am trying the R2 method, as I think it is likely the easiest to implement

I created the account, I uploaded some files into the account, and they appear in a directory I called javascript.They have the correct Type and size on the list.

I tried to access the files on my web application using (I changed the numeric code for the public forum)

The web page however does not load - the error being it does not find certain widgets (that are part of these files).

The page loaded correctly when I linked directly to the widget publisher’s web site

Am I missing a step?

Thanks

1 Like

How are you accessing the files from R2?

They’re currently only public when using a Worker to make them public - do you have an example of your Worker’s code?

Is there an easy way to do this - to just expose the files as is for download via script type source in my web page headers . I did not setup any Workers, but not sure how they would be implemented to accomplish the goal.

Thanks

I saw this online

Public buckets, so a bucket can be exposed to the internet without writing a Worker

But I guess that is only a future option?

I expect it to be an option within the next 1-2 months.

GitHub - kotx/render: Cloudflare Worker to proxy and cache requests to R2 is a good Worker that you can use to serve R2 files publicly.

I think I will wait for the option - in the interim I will just like to the vendor’s web site (a little slow). Will you be sending out emails when the option is available?

Thanks

That’s up to the R2 team but there’s a public changelog available at https://developers.cloudflare.com/r2/platform/changelog/ which is kept up-to-date pretty quickly so you can check back in on that.

If you use Discord, the R2 team are pretty active & post releases in Cloudflare Developers

Thanks - joined, and will watch periodically