Nameserver issues 2

I recently switched over my domain from Squarespace to Namecheap effective today. Becasue my website host uses cloudflare, I had to reconfigure my DNS through cloudflare.

The instructions said that the assigned me different nameservers that I originally had. And the site was working with the old nameservers. They are listed below.

jake.ns.cloudflare.com
lily.ns.cloudflare.com

Cloudflare prompted me to change my nameservers to the following.

darl.ns.cloudflare.com
kim.ns.cloudflare.com

As soon as the change became effective, my site (NashvilleRealEstateNow. com) went offline with this error code.

Error 1000Ray ID: 88a7f8e53920ada0 • 2024-05-27 18:12:16 UTC

DNS points to prohibited IP

I immediately switched back the name servers to the original a few hours ago, and I still get the same error. Help!

Hi there,

The most common reason we see for this error is due to your DNS records pointing to a Cloudflare IP address instead of your origin web server IP address - Troubleshooting Cloudflare 1XXX errors · Cloudflare Support docs

If you login to your Cloudflare dashboard, and look at the DNS section and look at the DNS record’s and the AAAA/A records and use a tool like Free Whois Lookup - Whois IP Search & Whois Domain Lookup | Whois.com to lookup the IP address, you may see it belongs to Cloudflare.

This is not the correct configuration, you would need to update the records to point to the IP address of the server where your site was hosted. If you are unsure of what this IP address is, you should speak to your hosting provider and ask for the IP address of your web server.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I recently switched over my domain from Squarespace to Namecheap effective today. Becasue my website host uses cloudflare, I had to reconfigure my DNS through cloudflare.

The instructions said that the assigned me different nameservers that I originally had. And the site was working with the old nameservers. They are listed below.

Old nameservers

jake. ns.cloudflare.com
lily. ns.cloudflare.com

Cloudflare prompted me to change my nameservers to the following.

darl. ns.cloudflare.com
kim. ns.cloudflare.com

As soon as the change became effective a few minutes later, my site (NashvilleRealEstateNow. com) went offline with this error code.

Error 1000Ray ID: 88a7f8e53920ada0 • 2024-05-27 18:12:16 UTC

DNS points to prohibited IP

I immediately switched back the name servers to the old a few hours ago, and I still get the same error. Help!

My web host is closed today. I checked the historical IP address of my site, and it is still the same as it was with the prior domain registrar, SquareSpace. See attached. Both IP addresses are owned by cloudflare.

Hi Steve,

Do you have access to your original account, the one you are moving from?

These are our proxy IP’s in your screenshot - Cloudflare will always hide your origin IP behind our proxy as that is part of how Cloudflare keeps your site secure, but this isn’t actually the IP address of where your site is hosted.

You would need to speak with your host in order to find out what the origin IP that is configured in your DNS records is (of your original account, if you do not have access to it). If you do have access to your original account, then you can look at the DNS records and they should have your web server’s IP.

The information is missing from my original account. When I get the origin IP from my web host tomorrow, how do I fix the problem?

You will need to edit your DNS Records so that they that are pointing to the IP address they give you.

Any DNS records that are pointing to Cloudflare IP’s can be removed. You can confirm they are a Cloudflare IP or not by using this tool - Free Whois Lookup - Whois IP Search & Whois Domain Lookup | Whois.com

Once you have your DNS records configured in your new account, you can then update authoritative nameservers back to

darl.[ns.cloudflare.com
kim.[ns.cloudflare.com]

If this is the new account you would like the zone to exist in.

Do I need to delete the other A-records in the DNS that point to cloudflare, when I add the origin IP?

Yes, there should be no DNS Records pointing to Cloudflare IP’s - only to your origin IP of your web server.

Do I need to delete all of these A/AAAA records and replace them all with the origin IP that I get from my host?

Then update to the new nameservers assigned to me?

See attached.

Hi Steve,

Yes that is correct.

You likely only need one A record and one CNAME record

Type: A record
Name: nashvillerealestatenow.com
Content:
Proxied status: orange-cloud/proxied

Type: CNAME record
Name: www
Content: nashvillerealestatenow.com
Proxied status: orange-cloud/proxied

Once those records are in place and the others removed - then you update to the new nameservers at your registrar, and you should be good to go.

regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.