My website has crashed 17 times in the past 18 hours

So, starting around yesterday afternoon my site has triggered an email stating it’s gone down 17 times. When I try and load it myself, it comes back with a 521 or 525 or even a 520 error.

I host, SSL cert, and the domain is through GoDaddy. My Cloudflare is on a free account. I have never had any issues and my ssl/tls was always set to Full.

I have looked through the 525 article and a lot of it is over my head sad to say since I’ve never had to deal with it.

When I disable/pause Cloudflare, the site comes back up. If I adjust the protocol on Cloudflare but do not pause it, it continues to stay down.

I’ve ran the diagnostics and it comes back with:

no_dnssec_found The site does not have any DNSSEC records.
not_found_ds_record The hostname has no DS records.
request_failed Your request failed because the web server did not respond. (unencrypted to encrypted conversion)
slow_ttfb The response was slower than 800ms.

I don’t know where to go at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I’m certainly seeing some weird behavior. I did get an immediate 520 when I tested your site, then a reload brought it up. Another reload brought some of it up, but several files in the site showed a 520. Yet another reload results in styling elements showing a 404 (not found). And now it’s back to a 520.

DNSSEC and DS are optional (they’re for DNS verification), and have no effect on site performance.

It just sounds like the server isn’t responding to Cloudflare which results in different errors, such as an error screen from GoDaddy that doesn’t have your site’s SSL tied to it, or some other 5xx failure message.

Bottom line is that 5xx errors are triggered by an event at the server.

It takes a rather determined support tech at the host to actually track this down. Those are a rare breed and the rest will just say it’s a Cloudflare problem and that “everything looks good here.” Clearly, there’s a problem, but it actually takes some elbow grease to track it down.

I’m going to flag the @MVP group because when your site appears to load, but many of the image, css, & js file headers indicate this is Cloudflare’s new “Always Online” setup that serves from Archive.org. I’ve not seen an example in the wild until now.

1 Like

Thanks. I hope more respond because I have no idea what I’m supposed to do if GoDaddy can’t help. I’m going to try and call them later because I need to be working on other things.
If they tell me they can’t help me, is there something I can track down and do?

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.