My webpage needs several refreshes to load

When anyone goes to my page (http://cazcoronel.com) they have to reload it several times for it to load. It is a Wordpress website and I have tried deactivating my plugins but this didn’t help leading me to think that Cloudflare’s involvement might be the issue? I should mention also that two domains are being forwarded to two different pages on the website. I am not sure if this could be an issue? Apologies I am not too knowledgeable on this sort of thing. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

It looks like the root of your issue is your website is loading jquery with defer, but loading other parts like your main theme with async. Defer waits until the end of html parsing and then executes all of the scripts in order, where async loads without blocking html parsing, but then instantly executes. So you’ve effectively got a little race condition, if your main theme loads first before JQuery (which it depends on), it breaks. I believe you just need to remove async from the few script tags you have, like your main theme, which use it, or remove defer from jquery loading, which seems to be the default for the theme you are using. If you don’t know what any of that means, contact your web developer to fix it.

Potentially one of your wordpress plugins is adding the defer tags to all of your scripts to try to “help” loading. Cloudflare’s Rocket Loader could also be doing this, but it doesn’t seem to be on. It would be worth double-checking that it is off though, you can find it in your Cloudflare dashboard, after selecting your domain, under Speed → Optimization, make sure “Rocket Loader” is off. If it’s not Rocket loader though, it’s a fault in a wordpress plugin you are using or some other modification that was made directly to the theme you are using.

You’ve also got some image (https://cazcoronel.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/pexels-daniel-nouri-8448579.png), that is massive, around 28MB, which isn’t helping load times either

1 Like

this is such an immensely helpful answer Chaika, my deepest thanks to you. I am going to examine all you say and report back shortly!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.