My webhost said change my DNS and I'm out of my debth

So, I got an email form inmotion hosting saying:

"Hello Alex,

We have recently moved your account and during routine maintenance to remove your account on the previous server, we noticed that your DNS is still pointed to this server. Because your domain name is hosted elsewhere, we will not be able to update this for you. You will need to contact your registrar and point your domain(s) to xxx.xx.xx.xxx. Once this is done, please allow 4-24 hours for the information to propagate. Please postpone changes until you update the external DNS records and propagation completes.

I went to hover and see that my nameserver is pointed to xxxx. ns. Cloudflare. com So I figure I need to make this change here in Cloudflare, but I can’t figure out where to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Hello there,

You got to do that in your registrar DNS as pointed here. You can update there:

but my registrar is just pointing here

In my opinion and from what I understand the message you’ve received from them, I would change the IP address of the needed DNS records at the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard.

Therefore, I’d enable the “Pause Cloudflare for this site” option to make sure they’d see the correct IP from them and that SSL certificate would renew - in case if so. Upon success and once they’d confirm this, I’d un-pause and continue with proxied :orange: Cloudflare as usual.

They cannot confirm this because while the DNS records are proxied :orange: the IP isn’t recognized by them as it’s assigned to the Cloudflare network (for security, protection, performance, etc.).

• Navigate to the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard and update the DNS records to the new IP as suggested.
  • Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com .
  • The link is in the lower right corner of that page.
  • Give it five minutes to take effect.
  • Check with your hosting provider and give them the needed time.
  • Once they confirm, check if you’r site is working as expected without any error over HTTPS
  • Only then should you un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS settings to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

If any other issue appear, feel free to write back to us here so we could troubleshoot further.

Furthermore, if it’s shared hosting and cPanel, they have to backup first, then remove your hosting account from one cPanel hosting server to be able to re-add it back on the second cPanel hosting server (cPanel throws error if they’d try to, or maybe that’s for add-on domain thing, if it recognizes that the zone already exists on the other hosting server). From what I know, it’s not possible to add your domain/zone to the other as cPanel recognizes this and doesn’t allow (or maybe that was the case what I only had despite different IPs and different server).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.