Wondering, if I’m the only one who has problems with the reachability of tunnels when using 18.104.22.168 as dns server on the clients.
I’ve about 10 tunnels which are not reachable anymore if you change your dns settings to 22.214.171.124.
With 126.96.36.199 everything ist working as expected.
There is no special config. All Tunnels pointing to https ://localhost:443 or http ://localhost:80.
It’s the latter.
If clients (mobile phones, notebooks, …) have 188.8.131.52 configured as their primary dns, they can’t connect to the service.
If i change the dns settings to e.g. 184.108.40.206 or any other non-Cloudflare dns server, everything is ok.
This isn’t a solution to your issue, but I went ahead and switched my tunnel host from 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 and suddenly my tunnel connections aren’t dropping anymore (after months of having that problem). Seems something is very wrong with 22.214.171.124 recently.