My old website is still visible under new domain owner

HI. I have recently given up a domain name (abitrich co uk) which I had auto-renewed for a number of years through Clook. The new registrar is Namecheap and the servers are Cloudflare. I do not recall having an account with either, and yet my old, broken website is still visible online. Clook have no knowledge of why or how that could be as they no longer host those files. Are you able to shed any light on this issue?

Registrar:
Namecheap, Inc. [Tag = NAMECHEAP-INC]
URL: namecheap com

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 23-May-2022
    Expiry date:  23-May-2023
    Last updated:  25-May-2022

Registration status:
    Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
    ariadne.ns.cloudflare.com
    rajeev.ns.cloudflare.com

So you are saying you used to own abitrich.co.uk but let it expire and somebody else registered it, right?

The domain was registered on May 23rd and added a couple of days later to Cloudflare. Depending on the domain’s state, it may have still pointed to your old hosting and the records may have been automatically added when the new owner added it to Cloudflare.

If your previous host claims, they don’t host the site any more, your best bet may be to file a report at cloudflare.com/abuse, which should be forwarded to the new host.

At this point you don’t really have a claim to the domain, but you do have a claim to its content/design, but that may even require legal advice.

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you for the advice Sandro, I’ll pursue that option.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.