My domains in korean-alphabet have a problem registering with my cloudflare nameserver

When i set to “A record” and type 행진.com (xn--ec6b78s.com) in the Name field, then it automatically be changed a long and strange punycode value like “xn--ec6b78s.com.xn--ec6b78s.com

Besides the CNAME value can not entered with an error. (DNS Validation Error (Code: 1004) Content for CNAME record is invalid)

However, if I change the domains to the name server address of the domain purchasing site(goddady), and enter the a record and the cname value there, it works.

In other words, changing to my cloudflare nameservers and working on cloudflare causes problems.

I want to know the cause and solution

What is you are trying to enter the Punycode representation xn--ec6b78s.com instead?

I’t dosen’t work…

That is not exactly a great description.

If I type xn--ec6b78s.com in punycode, it automatically changes to xn--ec6b78s.com.xn--ec6b78s.com

So regardless of whether you type xn--ec6b78s.com or 행진.com it always sets up the record as additional host instead of the naked domain?

Did you type it manually to make sure there are no additional whitespaces?

So regardless of whether you type xn--ec6b78s.com or 행진.com it always sets up the record as additional host instead of the naked domain?
-> yes

Did you type it manually to make sure there are no additional whitespaces?
-> yes i did, with no additional whitespaces

This is also a problem, but the Cname doesn’t even type.

In that case I am afraid I can only refer you to support. Maybe there is some glitch at the moment and the UI does not recognise IDN domains.

Just open a ticket at https://support.cloudflare.com/requests/new

thank you sandro
But I already opened the ticket and it was only a reply from the bot.
so i have inquired here.

Reply to the ticket and tell them the issue hasnt been solved, that will reopen it.

Also, post the ticket number here for @cloonan.

1 Like

i got it thanks.

ticket number is
Request #1818971

It’s the same problem that is happening to me, check this screencast:

My ticket is #1819116

I’ve added notes to both tickets along with a link to this thread for details. I’ve added myself to both and will monitor for progress.

Edit - Thank you, the team is aware, able to reproduce this issue, and actively investigating. You should be able to add the records through the API, if any issue, please let us know.

I just tried to replicate this again and was unable to reproduce the error. I was able to successfully add the CNAME using the values provided here.