MX records on Cloudflare, Do they import automatically?

New to Cloudflare, using the wizard to setup DNS. There is a message in MX record field that states; “This record is exposing your origin servers IP address, Potentially exposing it to denial of service”

I do have my email accounts at my hosting account. How do I handle this record? Do I update it at cloudflare or does the wizard import my settings for the MX record?

I also have a client’s site that is using GSuites and did not know if those records will hold or if I have to recreate them at Cloudflare.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tory

It appears the wizard imported a valid record. Cloudflare does not proxy SMTP or other email protocols, so your IP is visible. This is not normally a problem, and is unavoidable when you host email on the same server as your website.

This won’t be a factor where email is hosted elsewhere. In this case, be sure to check the email provider for any needed DomainKey or dmarc records that are needed.

1 Like

Ok I appreciate the information, I will complete the setup and test the accounts, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.