MSOffice/GoDaddy email

After originally hosting email on my server, and being warned it would expose my origin IP, I’ve just been using forwarders to handle all my site’s email. This is proving annoying and inefficient, so I’ve signed up for GoDaddy/MS Email under the impression they would be hosting my email under my domain name, but without exposing my server.

Having set-up the DNS records correctly, Cloudflare is warning me that one SRV record “_sip._tls” is exposing my origin IP.

Have I gone about this the wrong way? What is the best way to create email for your domain without hosting it yourself/exposing your server IP?

Any help greatly appreciated, this has been a pain for a while now.

If this is some special GoDaddy setup, that might be the problem. Have tried deleting that SRV record to see if anything breaks? (Make sure you screenshot it in case you have to add it again).

The best way to set up email is to not do it through your web host. Set it up independently at an email provider’s site. They’ll tell you which DNS records you need to add.

Thanks for the response.

The best way to set up email is to not do it through your web host. Set it up independently at an email provider’s site. They’ll tell you which DNS records you need to add.

That’s exactly what I did. The SRV record allegedly exposing my IP is the one the third-part email told me to add.

That sure sounds like you signed up through your web host, which is the only reason I can think of for them exposing an origin IP address. What hostname is it that the SRV record is pointing to?

GoDaddy is not my host, just the domain name provider. They also sell business email services which run off microsoft’s outlook servers, to set it up you have to add some MX, SRV and TXT records to your server, which direct all your domain name email traffic to the outlook system.

I don’t know why one of those would expose my IP, I was wondering if it was a mistake somehow. I sent a test email, which showed the microsoft IP, not mine, in the header. Is it possible the error is incorrect? Or maybe it is exposing my IP to microsoft/godaddy but not publicly?

Or have I totally misinterpreted everything?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.