MQTT ports 1883 and 8883

For MQTT IANA has reserved those ports and due to the the amount of devices I’d say those are relevant. Can you open those up, if not already done.

Open these up where or for what?

If I understood right, there is not an open port range, but only discrete ports that are supported by the service. I am having trouble connecting my iot devices to my backend and am currently narrowing it down to DNS not being being able to forward requests.

Opening up = supporting them with the service

Cloudflare currently only proxies HTTP(S) and WebSocet traffic over a select few ports.

If you need to serve requests over ports other than those listed in the above article you would need to do so over gray clouded DNS records (read: bypassing our proxies). It isn’t possible to open up individual ports on a per-customer basis.

Thanks that is actually helpful!

Why not reconfigure your tools to talk over HTTP/HTTPS on port 80/443? Rather than wait for a network wide upgrade to be pushed out?

As part of our IoT initiatives we are evaluating solutions to support different devices, protocols & ports. Generally when we open a port (allow it to be orange clouded) we expect to provide some (but not necessarily all) of our services to that port/specific protocols. Timing is still TBD on ports, protocols and functionality we’ll support, but I will pass along your input to the teams working on the problem.