MP4 won't load on iOS devices

“Here we go” I hear you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But I have already searched everywhere, however I think I have found the reason for this @ https://community.cloudflare.com/t/mp4-wont-load-in-safari-using-cloudflare/10587/26

So clearly, is that something to do with needing to pay Cloudflare’s streaming option? I do not mind paying but I just need to know if it is going to solve MP4 playback issues with iOS devices. Mind you, they have tried other browsers on iOS devices and that didn’t help at all.

I applied some fixes such as adding to .htaccess but it turned out to be temporary solution.

Can you provide a link to the page you are having issues with?

Cloudflare Stream converts assets to a hls stream. It sounds like you are trying to do progressive download, which is a fundamentally different thing. I read the linked thread, and it actually makes no sense really, with lots of weird statements like:

Safari only accepting a 206 Status for video

I believe this can be solved by disabling range requests on your origin, but I’d like to have a look at your request/response headers to confirm.

Ok, since the online courses are online and is password protected so maybe I will get back to you with username/password via private message.

One thing for sure is that small MP4 files play fine but not the large videos such as over 5 MB or so, MP4 files. I’m not sure why large MP4 files do not play, the same files play fine if I paused Cloudflare.

Please do. Maybe I can finally learn to understand Amanda Coogan on next years LLTS!

I’m not sure if this is the problem, but in the past i’ve had issues with iOS playback, specifically Safari.

Safari, and other browsers on iOS send the Range header for playing videos https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Range

On Safari, the video won’t play if your server does not respect this header, i.e. your server sends back a greater range of bytes than was requested

Chrome, however doesn’t seem to care and still plays the video

Again, i’m not sure if this is the cause of your problem, just my two cents

Heh you could! I am trying to find IM function on this forum via your profile but could not find one? You could send me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

By the way here is a screenshot below, showing media errors:

But it played fine on any other devices with Cloudflare enabled.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.