MP4 Large files CDN

Hello we have many large videos at amazon’s CloudFront, we want to move them to our server, so … does cloudflare support large video files MP4 at your CDN?

MP4 files aren’t cached by default, but can be cached by using a “Cache Everything” Page Rule. However, the Terms of Services does impose some limitations on non-HTML caching (section 10).

A snippet from section 10:

Using an account primarily as an online storage space, including the storage or caching of a disproportionate percentage of pictures, movies, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.

I will ask that question. How many percent is “disproportionate”? And do domain plan (meaning Free, Pro, Enterprise) actually matters here?

Of course @komarEX has to be “that guy”.

We do have customers on our Enterprise plan who cache a disproportionate percentage of ‘other non-HTML content’ and that was considered as part of the contract negotiation process.

It’s not that we’re incapable of providing those services, but we reserve the right to place what we believe are reasonable limits on the use of our service at various tiers (I’m sure there’s a much more articulate ‘official answer’, but hopefully that makes sense).

How many percent is “disproportionate”?

That’s a how long is a piece of string question. If you have a low(ish) traffic free site and large proportion of your traffic is a cool video you took at the beach, that is going to generally be viewed differently than if you have a site generating PBs of traffic of amazing cat videos… not that we don’t love cat videos.

Clear as mud right?

So, how much of traffic is enough for Business Plan? Per month from CF cache.

Let me see, if we move from our current plan (pro) to the enterprise plan, we could negociate our current monthly budget that we expend on cloudfront whit CF?, How much does it cost the entry level at the enterprise plan?

A lot of variables to that question and I’m probably not the best person to answer them. I’d recommend reaching out to our sales team directly https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/enterprise/contact/ They’re nice folks I swear. :slight_smile:

How can we tell if MP4s on our site are being cached by CF? If they are not cached, do they show up broken… or does CF hit the origin every single time?

Mp4 file CDN

Hi @jules I’m sure it would show CF HIT if they was being cached.

And it does… whew! Thanks for that tip.

@jules you can look at the response headers to determine whether we are caching. This is indicated by the CF-Cache-Status header. If a resource has never been requested before then it would typically show CF-Cache-Status: MISS, and subsequent requests would show CF-Cache-Status: HIT. There are some other cache statuses which can be seen here.

See also: How can I tell if Cloudflare is caching my site or a specific file?