We lost our IT guy this week, very suddenly. We created a new account and moved the site to a new account as specified in Cloudflare documentation. We then changed the namespace on GoDaddy as per the instructions on Cloudflare. Since then our website has been down. I am getting an error 1000 (clarkeny.com). We need the site up. We didn’t realize this would take this long to be operational again.
If I go and put the namespace back to the original on GoDaddy, will the site be operational again? I would test this out but the first progratation took 6 hours and I don’t want to mess everything up worse than it already is.
I am truly at a loss what to do at this point. It is very difficult with the lack of support this company provides. Basically I am using suggestions from the sales department. We just need our site back asap.
If anyone can lend me some suggestions on what to do. Is there a way of contacting Support other than email. The waiting is truly painful. Is there something I need to add to the DNS? The site looks like it came over. It has the small cloud icon and then states proxied