Moving domain between zones

dash-dns
dash-crypto

How can I go about moving a third level domain between two CF zones? subdomain.mydomain.com has its own CF zone which I want to delete. I added subdomain.mydomain.com to my other zone ( *.mydomain.com) . I noticed that at this point it now uses the wildcard SSL cert from the new zone. But when I removed the the domain from its old zone the site went offline and I receive 1016 errors (“origin DNS error”). Nothing in the Cloudflare DNS panels signifies that there is a problem.

Not a registrar Question because CNAME stays the same.

So this can be a little tricky and may be worth a discussion with your account team (and friendly neighborhood solutions engineer). You may also want to engage with support. Depending on exactly what state you/re in now it may be that you need to confirm your new zone is active and/or Cloudflare may need to purge the previous zone.

There are also a bunch of other potential corner cases and caveats here that could apply to an enterprise zone/customer who is using a subdomain sign-up configuration as it has some additional fun corner case conditions that might apply.

2 Likes

Also this is one of the potentially fun corner cases where collaboration may be required to get it done efficiently. Sorry I’m a bit vague… I know my customer accounts extremely well and when looking in on another config assuming things based on my preconceptions can potentially give you a bum steer and no one wants that.

You can ref this thread in your support request and/or message to your account team and they can ping me to ask me what I’m on about if they don’t already have a much better sense for resolution than my musings.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.